Saturday, July 12, 2008

Efficiency

Meredith returned today from two weeks visiting her parents. In the middle of that, we met in Ohio and went to my cousin's wedding over the long 4th holiday.

With her and Henry gone, I've found myself with quite a bit of free time, and much of that was given over to games.

I've played 3 games of Rommel in the Desert (2 were learning games, 1 was real), 3 games of Warriors of God (2 were learning, 1 was real), and several solo games of BattleLore.

Knowing that I had to meet Meredith this evening at the airport, I knew I had to get some errands done, but I couldn't resist a little morning gaming. I had heard a rumor that several members in the SABG were anxious to play Combat Commander, but you couldn't prove it by the lack-luster response I got to a game request. Luckily, by spreading my net a little wider I was able to land an opponent for the morning.

My Germans were defeated by Kirk's Russians. I had a nice lead during most of the game, but I couldn't figure out a plan for my left flank. Kirk developed a plan before me, and soon my troops were leaderless, and they started dropping rapidly.

Then this afternoon I accomplished the following to prepare for Meredith's return:
  • replaced a flat tire and the also flat spare (that was annoying...)
  • touched up the paint job around our new house numbers
  • did several loads of laundry
  • replaced all the windshield wiper blades
  • did some general straightening and cleaning
  • bought dinner
And then I left at 6p for the airport. Whew!

Overall quite a productive few weeks. I got a lot of stuff done around the house plus I got to play a lot of games. I would have liked to get in a few more games and tasks, and I was sorry to miss the Mon night meetings, and also Brian and Jacqui's 4th thing. Still, I can't complain.

Now it's back to life with a rambunctious little toddler. He's not quite ready for Combat Commander, but he's starting to get good at peekaboo [not hide and seek...].

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, July 12, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

Hah! great post.

That sounds like me when Carmen is working for the weekend. Just today I played 2 (!) games back to back of Twilight Struggle, and 1 of CC Med, before Carmen came back from work. Before she arrived I:

-did the dishes
-cleaned after the dog
-did some yardwork
-picked up my most recent pile of clean clothes

The things we do for our hobby....and our loved ones.

On a side note, I won the first game in 1 hour as the Russians (Sudden death on rd 3). Then on the second time around, my opponent did a MUCH better job with the US barely beating me on rd 9 with the Wargames card, as I was setting up for an end game scoring kill. Great stuff.

Oh, and I won as the Russians defending against a LARGE Romanian force in CCMed. It felt like a zergling rush (Romanians) going after the sluggish Protoss (Russians), but in the end, the good guys won.

 
At 11:56 PM, July 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted, it's always good to hear about your son. Knowing the challenges he and you and your wife have had to overcome, it's nice to hear about him running around and playing like kids do.

 
At 5:11 PM, July 13, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Henry's a toddler now! Wow! He sounds like he's doing pretty well!

 
At 8:11 AM, July 14, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

Henry update: I had a brain fart. Henry is not playing hide and seek, but rather peekaboo. Big difference... Sorry for the confusion.

At 14 months, he's pretty much developmentally on schedule, but he's still very small. He's very interactive, and he has a very mellow happy personality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home