Sunday, June 29, 2008

SABG vs. The Emasculated Black Goat of the Woods

Yesterday an intrepid band of investigators (Chris, Jon, Scott, and I) journeyed to the sleepy hollow of Arkham. We responded to reports that a great ancient evil, Shub Niggurath (aka The Black Goat of the Woods, apparently), was stirring from his ancient slumber, threatening to plunge this dimension into eternal darkness and make other associated bad things happen. Yes, one of my favorite games, Arkham Horror, once more made it back to the table. We started to shuffle in the parts from all four expansions, but we quickly realized it would have turned into an all day extravaganza, and so we settled on playing with all the new cards and investigators, but without the new boards.

The four of us made steady progress the whole game, getting knocked out a few times each, but closing gates with relative ease. Chris' character was a mega-spell caster, but unfortunately for about 75% of the game an environment card was in effect that cancelled all spellcasting. Ugh! Jon and I were the tanks, and we each racked up impressive piles of monster trophies. Perhaps a bit too impressive actually....

We were nearing the climax of the game, where we needed to close one more gate to win. We were one doom marker away from utter destruction as well. White knuckles gripped all four sides of the table in anticipation of each mythos card draw. Just then, Scott pointed out that we had forgotten the Goat's power of adding one toughness to every creature in the game! Whoops! Major asterix. We coasted through the next few turns and dunked the ring, I mean closed the final gate, but we each new that the enemy we faced was somehow the weaker cousin of the real Old One we should have faced.

I have to say I still really enjoyed the game. The new cards and investigators were well done and fit seamlessly into the game. For some reason we kept running into mysterious old men in trench coats offering us candy, including one named Mr. Skin, which was perhaps a little too creepy. The lightning gun was fun though, and Scott's cursed reported was pretty cool.

Scott and Jon bolted after the grand finale, then Chris and I played couple quick hands of Blue Moon. All in all, a great day of gaming

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, June 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, I deleted my parallel post :) Easy enough--I like yours better.
I'm glad everyone came over. I wish I had set the game up ahead of time and done a dry run through it to remind myself of the basic rules, but I was on the tail end of a day-night-day work schedule and feeling pretty comatose.

I like AH, but I'm not sure how we're going to get the expansions to the table. Maybe the right thing for our group is just the extra cards without the boards. We'll see--at some point I'm sure you and I will be crazy enough to say "Ok, let's get all the boards out and play with everything."

 
At 10:38 AM, June 29, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Ok, let's get all the boards out and play with everything. I'm ready. I think we just needed a quick refresher of the core game, but now I feel ready. I'll digest the Kingsport rules so I can be of more assistance next time.

 
At 10:41 AM, June 29, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

I just picked up Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for the DS. Great fun so far. I want to get Operation Darkness for the X-Box 360 (aka Final Fantasy meets Hell Boy), but I'm going to wait for it do drop in price $10-20 or so, as the reviews are a bit mixed.

In the mean time I just patched Civ4: Beyond the Sword, so I'm giving it another whirl.

Oh, and today I'm teaching myself how to solder copper pipe. Hopefully I won't burn my house down...

 
At 2:54 PM, June 29, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

I love this game. Last December I went to half price books and got some of Lovecraft's stories. This made the game of AH much more enjoyable.

 
At 6:09 PM, June 29, 2008, Blogger Raab said...

I am all about arkham horror. Thats one game that i'd plan to play all day on... or rather NIGHT. do you guys do any late night gaming? 9am on the weekends is way too early for me.

 
At 7:27 AM, June 30, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

I'm sure we'll announce when we do the "big board" Arkham, hopefully within the next month or so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home