Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Monday Surprises - a short report.

I didn't think that I would be gaming tonight, but circumstances arranged themselves in such a way that I indeed made an appearance at DL. Much to the surprise of those present. When I arrived Chris and Brian were playing Blue Moon with some of the expansion decks. Brain won with his gangs of evil smiting while Chris made a valiant effort, but he could not stand strong against the gangs or their smite.

Sean arrived and after some debate about what to play. Dry Gulch Junction made it to the table and we all began our valiant efforts to build a town -- and claim the most VPs. I can see Sean and Brian's point that a second time through makes it easier to strategize, but I didn't do horribly for the first time, and Chris seemed quite at ease sneaking away with the victory.

Jon arrived as we were ending the game, and The Big was pulled out and played. I must say that I was thoroughly trounced. It was bad, but Chris, Jon, Brian and Sean were fighting it out neck and neck for a while. Til Jon put 11 bits into the Castile and changed end of game scoring drastically in his favor that is. About that time things broke up, and Sean and Brian were left to fend for themselves.

I was glad for the distraction. I needed the distraction. I did not wish to yet go home. I still don't, but some things j cannot be avoided. I appreciate you all letting me crash the party this evening. And not letting me just sit and watch things. It was enjoyable. You all are the best. I owe ya'll.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, May 06, 2008, Blogger seanp said...

I've decided that the it takes THREE times through Dry Gulch to appropriately strategize.

Or maybe my strategery needs upgrading.

 
At 2:11 PM, May 06, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Three times through huh. Interesting. All I know if my brain was anywhere but gaming last night. And that is going to be my excuse for the less then stellar performance at El Grande. Yup, thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.

 
At 8:23 PM, May 06, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for the report Tiffany. It really isn't that much of a chore to play games with you (or anyone in the group, for that matter).

Except for Jon, and his poor color vision.

 
At 9:31 PM, May 06, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Three days back on active duty down... three to go. The chow hall here isn't bad, though I'm staying away from the ten cent grits. Tomorrow I may go for the classic creamed, chipped beef on toast breakfast, aka SOS. Its actually pretty good stuff as long as you do your PT before breakfast. Oh... and it seems every meal served in Arkansas is required to include some form of bacon.

Now back to the Europe Engulfed rules, which keep putting me to sleep....zzzz

 
At 9:34 PM, May 06, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a chore to play with me (or with anyone). I just -- well i don't know what I mean -- i shall just stop speaking now. Well almost.

And welcome for the report. I like writing them. :)

 
At 9:42 PM, May 06, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

Dry gulch.... I'm intrigued... how does it work? rules? Not much info on BGG.

Ben: EE ...can't wait man. It may have to be later in the week next week, because I'm doing Age of Renaissance on Sunday. How are your weeknights looking next week? I'll probably be hosting game night on Wed, so any night but then.

 
At 12:01 AM, May 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Blue Moon. The art on and the feel of the cards was better than I had expected. I didn't win any games but I'd play again, especially since it moved pretty quickly once I grasped the rules.

Dry Gulch was ok. I thought I was doing ok as I again got the basic rules after a round or two (which Brian said would probably happen). But I won more by having the good fortune to have claims that I could take advantage of rather than some master strategy. So it goes.

I know a lot of people seemed to like The Big during prior plays, and I had definitely been looking forward to this one. It did not disappoint. I especially loved the high level of player interaction.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties with your grandmother, Tiffany, and I hope she gets better.

 
At 10:56 AM, May 07, 2008, Blogger seanp said...

My beef with Dry Gulch is that the claims make a BIG difference, and only on the last turn was I able to actually choose a claim. I don't remember how that worked... THEN whoever makes a claim becomes the "last" player, which means they get to build 4th, and then 5th - this means they can build next to their own buildings, and double up on VPs that way. So the key to winning this game is to get hold of that "lead player" token on the second claim phase.

Maybe I'm missing something...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home