Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, SABG!

Once upon a time, a lonely geek posted a thread looking for friends in San Antonio. It was just before Easter in 2005.

First, he met Rob (v1). Rob said "We should get more people and we should play on more nights than just Monday." The lonely geek said "Nah." [2 pts for Rob, 0 for lonely geek]

Rob decided the lonely geek was crazy, and Rob kept looking.

Soon, Rob introduced the lonely geek to Kendahl, and now they were three.

At this point, the lonely geek's memory gets fuzzy. Soon thereafter appeared both Patrick, a game designer, and Brian, a famous game player/reviewer.

Soon, Ben showed up, and he brought this blog along with him.

Soon, the lonely geek couldn't keep track of all the new game players in the SABG.

Shortly, Patrick and Kendahl moved away, and the lonely geek was sad to lose gaming buddies.

Eventually, the lonely geek had a baby (well, his wife had the baby...), and that distracted him from games and SABG.

Then Rob (v1) moved away, and the lonely geek had lost his first gaming buddy.

Eventually, the lonely geek started to figure out the whole parenthood thing, and he started playing more games again.

The lonely geek had lots of game buddies, all over the country.

And he was happy.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Yeah us!

(Although I prefer to be considered infamous).

And here's a quick baseball contest that anyone can do, if interested.

 
At 8:28 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

Thanks all! It is good to be a part of something worth while. Sorry that I have been absent in 2008.

 
At 10:18 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

I miss Kendahl and Patrick (from SABG Classic at Patrick's house). Thanks for bringing up the nice memories.

SABG is the best!

 
At 10:54 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

Great cliff notes version... sniff... sniff

Now, I believe the chronological order was Ted and Rob, then Ben (?) who brought Kendahl and Patrick right after, Brian, then Simon and Jon, Michael etc etc etc etc....

 
At 8:12 PM, March 26, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

Rob, you might be right about the timing. It's all a bit fuzzy.

However, I have a vague memory of Rob, kendahl, and I meeting at Rudy's then going back to my house to play San Juan.

I think Ben found us via Kendahl's paper series on games.

I don't recall how Patrick found us, but I recall having him stop by my old house once for games. I don't recall what we played, though

 
At 12:39 AM, March 27, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

WOW! You are right! I completely forgot about the Rudy's encounter.

:-O

I stand corrected.

 
At 1:26 AM, March 27, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Rob is skipping Jeff, who was already around by the time I showed up.

Also Dennis appeared on the exact same night as I did.

 
At 7:14 AM, March 28, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Jeff and I met Ben and Kendahl at Ben's house shortly after we moved to town in October 2005, which was shortly before this blog was set up. We were glad there was a group forming up when we got here!

 
At 10:50 PM, March 28, 2008, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Has it been that long already?

Simon and Myself showed up November 2005 at Brian's House not sure what we were getting ourselves into.

Good times ever since, and I hope they will continue into the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home