Saturday, June 16, 2007

SABG's Face in Japan

So, its like 3 AM here in Japan, and I'm wide awake, so I thought I'd check in with SABG. Google knows I'm in Tokyo, so all the Blogger menus are in Japanese characters, which made posting this an interesting exercise. I've only been here a few hours, so I haven't yet found the mythical Japanese FLGS with language independent, in-shrink copies of out-of-print, impossible to obtain board games.... wait, there's no need now that Valley Games is doing their thing. Other random, jet lagged thoughts:
  • When I turned on the TV here to watch a few of the legendary bizarre Japanese game shows, the first channel I saw was playing Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima... without English subtitles, unfortunately.
  • The game shows are true to legend... weird and goofy. The one I saw before passing out had a bunch of guys in drag and heavy makeup singing songs.
  • Unlike in South Korea, I couldn't find the all-Star Craft, all-the-time sports channel.
  • Haircuts inspired by Final Fantasy characters seem to be all the rage here.

Alright... I have to jump on another jet in a few hours, so SABG Japan is now signing off.

5 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, June 17, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

What's really weird -- your lips move out of synch when you typed that.

So where are you? Yokata? Misawa? Kadena?

 
At 1:41 PM, June 17, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Misawa... which is on the northern tip of Hokaido for those of you familiar with the Shogun map board. There's snow on the mountains visible from here. Tomorrow I have to get a Japanese drivers license, which should be cool souvenir.

 
At 8:38 PM, June 17, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Bitchu? Bingo?

Me? I'm struggling to find a decent game store that's not more than 10 miles away.

 
At 4:34 AM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'll have to ask my counterpart for this week, a Major in the Japanese Air Self Defense Force (JASDF) if he knows where Bitchu is. I've had a hard time restraining myself from asking him about their tactics for taking down giant monsters. I get nervous every time I'm around a bunch of their aircraft, as previously I've always seen them getting stomped by Gojira or one of his pals.

 
At 2:54 PM, June 18, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Japanese Air Self Defense Force = Flying Kung Fu Master?



(Yeah, I know Kung Fu is Chinese, but it had such a cool ring to it.)

How exactly did Japan get the monopoly on coolness? Ninja, anime, Gojira, samurai, Luke Morris' avatar, Nintendo...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home