Saturday, June 09, 2007

In which we are ungracious hosts


Chris and Steve made it over last night, and we mainly played the classics. I don't mean that rhetorically, either. We played Ruse & Bruise, which I've now played five times. Every other game we played was on my "Top 10 Most Played" list.

Needless to say, my uppence never really came. But, good games all.

In San Juan I managed to fill my chapel with a bunch of useless (to me) six-cost buildings, but also dropped a City Hall. Court the King proved easy when I yahtzeed one turn to get the General (only six dice, no control with three dice left), then timewalked and yahtzeed on the king (8-sixes), with each of my opponents only having seven dice. (Steve grabbed the last General, but couldn't roll perfectly).

Jacqui won the aforementioned Ruse & Bruise, which no doubt prolonged our marriage. Then came Glory to Rome. Let me state for the record that I only started the Colliseum because Jacqui was building a forum. Since I had a road (and could build the colliseum with any material I wanted) a Pallisade, and quite a few Legionary & Craftsman clients, my stadium was built in record time and the crowd loved the slicing and dicing. Jacqui, however, was less fond of the gladiatorial displays, and proclaimed our marriage back where it had started.

At this point, we bid adieu to our guests, without even a parting gift. So very ungracious.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, June 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much fun was had, despite being handed my proverbial hat. I think somewhere along the way I happened to mention, "I like card games" and thus the theme of the night was set. Nary a board or cube hit the table all night.

I had really wanted to see San Juan (and have started playing the downloadable version several times since-thanks for that recommendation), and Ruse and Bruise was good light fun. Glory to Rome was a massacre in more than one sense of the word. Not only was the final so closenot that Jacqui stopped the game out of sheer mercy, but I finally got to see the Vortex o' Death that is a fully activated Colliseum. In the words of Darth Vader:

"Impressive."

I had a great time, lumps taken notwithstanding. ("Thank you sir, may I have another?") Thanks to you and Jacqui for hosting.

 
At 10:11 AM, June 10, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

Thanks very much for having us at the last minute. I'm awful at all 4 games, so any opportunity to get better (and if not better, at least faster) will be good for all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home