Monday, June 18, 2007

Jambo!


Having successfully convinced Ted not to show up, Jon was waiting at Dragon's Lair when I arrived. We played a quick game of Jambo, then I bought my copy of Notre Dame. Sean arrived, so we played a few times. I still like this, but with good players its all based on the deal of the cards. Still, I suspect I'll get my money's worth out of the game.

Eventually, Jeff and Amy brought the Great Xerox Paper Box of games. Everyone who had brought any games packed Age of Steam, so we gave that a spin. We played the Western US expansion, which I hadn't played before. (So that let knocks my "Unplayed games" down a point!) You can see the map below. (Its the thing behind the glare).


Unlike the basic AoS, everyone RailRoad has to stay connected until the transcontinental RR is done (making this a "Golden Spike" variant). While everyone else started out on the Eastern Side, I started in Los Angeles and headed east. (All players have to start on one edge). This left me no competition for deliveries, but the mountains (and mismanagement) took their tool. I suffered an income loss early (to boost my locomotive). Sean raced west while the others lolligagged and fought for the lucrative eastern map cities. We eventually linked up (splitting the $4 bonus). I took out huge loans to try and bully my way into first and managed to come close ... I came in second (69-62). I think I could have given split the transcontinental railroad bonus with Amy (the rules aren't clear), but at the time I was more worried about her. (She had a better locomotive and equal income, at the time).

At this point, everyone but Sean and I turned into pumpkins, so we played a few games of Jambo and called it a night.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, June 20, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Nice session report!

 
At 2:50 PM, June 21, 2007, Blogger seanp said...

Mark - got the strat-o-matic in from Ebay last night - let me know if you want to get it before next Monday...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home