Sunday, May 06, 2007

Spanked, We Were! Saturday Session Report

A relatively huge crowd attended this Saturday's SABG meetup (to borrow the term from another local group...). Rob, Chris, Al, Steve, Carlos, Carlos' friend (Jerry?), and I were there plus a brief special guest appearance by Ted!

As seems to be somewhat typical of gameplay at DL, games on the shorter, lighter side were the order of the day. We started with Cave Troll, which annoyingly ended in a tie between Steve and Rob. Unfortunately I couldn't find the special tie breaking rule in the book, so I'll need to post a question at the FFG website. When played quickly as a light warmup, this isn't a bad little game.

Next we split into two tables and played Take Stock and Colossal Arena. I led the Colossal Arena group vs. three newbies and was able to pull out a victory. This game never fails to deliver. I'll leave others to post the Take Stock session report.

Next we formed up to play six-player Star Wars Epic Duels, good vs. evil. Yoda, I was. Well, unfortunately for the good guys, we were totally annihilated. Evil Darth Maul (Steve) cruelly hunted down Obi-Wan Kenobi (Al) and eliminated him from the game almost immediately. How unsportsmanlike! A great game, but I think next time we should do 6-player every man for himself!

Finally everyone except Chris left, and he and I played Lord of the Rings with the Friends and Foes expansion added in. Against all odds and despite some terrible dice rolling, we pulled out a military victory against the Foes, about halfway through Isengard. We were playing with the official Black Gate variant that makes winning this way particularly challenging. We did come very close to biting the dust on more than one occasion, so victory tasted very sweet!

Many thanks to all who attended. A solid day of board gaming!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, May 06, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Good report. I've yet to play Epic Duels (SW).

 
At 4:39 PM, May 06, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'm a Star Wars nut, so I love it. I'm not sure I'd pay $150 for the game now, but its one of the most fun $30 games I've purchased.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home