Saturday, April 28, 2007

April Winding Down


After Monday night, we're into May. I'll be at DL at the normal time. And if anyone wants to stop by tonight for some games, well, I wouldn't turn it down.

Last night our plans cleared up, and Jeff and Amy graciously came over. The 'big game' of the night was Pillars of the Earth (left), which is gloriously overproduced. We also got in a game of Glory to Rome, and two games of To Court the King (which I have now played forty times, not counting online). Glory to Rome worked out better, although I still want to see the next edition rules/errata.

For the last few years I've got more satisfaction out of longer (2+ hour) and shorter (30 min) games than the mid range (~1 hour). Nothing conspiratorial, just a number of great entries into the 30 minute range (Court the King, Roma, Yspahan, Cash n Guns ... say, did I mention that I saw the Cash N Guns expansion? Ninjas. You point swords at each other, and have shuriken). Meanwhile, the hour long Euros are stuck in a rut. (Pillars of the Earth is a great example ... it seems heavily influenced by Caylus, just with randomness. I did like Notre Dame, but it seemed like another variant of existing games).

Anyway, if anyone is interested in gaming tonight at my place (starting around 7pm), just let me know in the comments. A quick game of Titan, perhaps.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, April 28, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

I can't play tonight, but I'll be at DL on Monday at 10am (as will Ben, and maybe Steve?).

I liked Pillars, but I may be biased:
1. I've only played it once
2. Being at BGG.con with that oh-so-sweet gaming-overdose 'high' made everything look cool.
3. I won that one time.


Still, it should be coming in the mail next week. I like Caylus (only played twice), and an overproduced, random, lighter Caylus seems cool (still I agree that the overlap in mechanics does start to get anoying once you get closer to 100 games in your collection).

 
At 5:53 PM, April 28, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

I'm forced to devote my intense gaze on the Spurs tonight to will victory.

I can most likely play in the afternoon or evening tomorrow (Sunday), should anyone be so inclined.

Monday I have to go suit-shopping at 10 AM sharp, but will head to DL as soon as that distasteful event is behind me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home