Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fog of War

“Many intelligence reports in war are contradictory;
even more are false, and most are
uncertain.”
—Karl von Clausewitz

The term "Fog of War" was coined by Clausewitz. I found the above quote the in manual for CC:E which is full of amusing and thought-provoking quotes.

I played CC:E one time w/ Brian and I really enjoyed it. I had a strong feeling of narrative, barely controlled chaos, and tension. I won that game partially because neither of us completely understood the rules, and partially because of a single tempo.

“It is even better to act quickly and err than to
hesitate until the time of action is past.”
—Karl von Clausewitz

I have never been in battle, and I hope to maintain a perfect record in this regard. Nevertheless, CC:E seems to capture the "intellectual essence" of the thing w/o the need to change my underwear. The chaos, the narrative, the tension are all really appealling to me.

So what I'm saying is that I was all set to buy one in the next few months now that I've gotten some use out of BL.

But...then I read about Tide of Iron. At first the minis made me think it was a lot like M44, and I figured I wasn't interested. Then I read Tom Vassel's review, and it seems the game is a lot more hard-core than I thought. My guess is that it won't be nearly as chaotic and out-of-control as CC:E which is both good and bad.

The other big difference between the two is that ToI could theoretically be played solo, whereas CC:E, being a card driven game, would be awful solo. In the next few months (years?) it'll be hard for me to schedule lots of time, and a game w/ solo ability has some appeal.

Decisions, decisions...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

A wise man once said, "Don't ask why, just buy."

 
At 10:09 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Ted, I'll own both, so you'll have a good opportunity to demo.

I still catch myself softly mumbling, "My Precious...." whenever I seen an ad for ToI.

 
At 10:48 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

I enjoy CC:E because of its simplicity.... its 'stremlinededness'. I'll never have the time and energy to dedicate to ASL. I like the idea of squad-level WWII wargaming, but ASL and maybe SK too may be a bit too much. CC:E just provides enough for me to enjoy the genre. Of course, I also love the chaos and random events that can happen in combat (even when they are frustratingly impossible). A true gem.

Loving tanks, I've always wanted to play Lock N' Load more.

ToI seems to me more like Memoir 44 on steroids...which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm on a wait-and-see stance with this one. I think I'm turning into a chit-and-block-pushing grognard.

 
At 10:48 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Lets put it this way... if and when I sell Memoir, I'll get ToI.

 
At 7:13 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

> A wise man once said

Steve, was that Clausewitz too?

 
At 2:07 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I think it was Sun Tzu...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home