Sunday, March 04, 2007

Weekend Gaming After-Action Report

Two great days of gaming were held this past Friday and Saturday, with both sessions starting at around 7 AM at my place and running until about noon.

Friday
Attendees: Ben, Rob, Steve
As the image above alludes to, we had an ancient themed session, first playing Perikles and then Conquest of the Empire 2. I'll say again that the more I play Perikles, the more I like it, though I do yearn to try it again in its 5-player incarnation. It was interesting to hear Rob compare CotE2 with Struggle of Empires, which I haven't yet played. I do enjoy CotE2, and our game came down to the last turn with all three players in tight contention. Again, I think CotE2 plays even better with more players.

Saturday
Attendees: Ben, Jeff, Steve
We started out with Star Wars: Epic Duels. Jeff took Darth Vader plus 2 Stormtroopers; Steve took Yoda plus 2 Clonetroopers; and I had the lamest combination of teen Anakin plus girlfriend Amidala. Darth Jeff made the mistake of nearly choking the life out of Amidala early in the game, which made Anakin very angry. You won't like him when he's angry... Anyway, Anakin proceeded to slice and dice his way through troopers and Darth alike, assisted by a long range aimed shot from his girlfriend. Yoda cowered in the corner for most of the game, drawing cards and occasionally applying a force push. Amidala tried another aimed shot a Yoda, who simply bounced it back at her, leaving her with a smoking hole where her pretty face used to be. Anakin again tried to go into rage mode, but Yoda simply blocked everything he had, then chased him down and executed him. Ouch! Well played, Steve.

We next played Nexus Ops, followed by Perikles again. Both were great fun!

I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who came over this weekend. We put away a ton of coffee and converted its energy to lots of fantastic gameplay and comradery. I hope we're able to do it again sometime soon.

5 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, March 04, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

Re: Fri

You guys w/ flexible work schedules make me so jealous. Luckily I love my job almost as much as gaming (plus it pays better).

Re: Sat

I enjoyed meeting the neighbors, but it sounds like a missed a great gaming session, too. Would have been a blast... Ah, well.

 
At 7:12 PM, March 04, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Sorry I missed these, Ben. Thanks for the complete report.

 
At 10:48 AM, March 06, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Steve / Rob:

A couple rules clarifications from the official CotE2 FAQ:

1. You CANNOT claim influence tokens of an ally.

2. The official FAQ doesn't say you can't move into an ally's vacated city (thus claiming it like I did to Rob), but this seems to be at odds with the principle behind the ruling on #1. I asked on the Eagle forums (which are still active) and the best answer I received was that this situation isn't specifically addressed in either the rules or the FAQ. After some reflection, I'm thinking that claiming an ally's city should be a forbidden hostile act.

Now that I've had a good brain refresh on this game, I'm hoping we can get it on the table again soon, preferrably with 4-6 players.

 
At 10:49 AM, March 06, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Rob: This means I've turning over the laurels for our game to you... the only reason I won was by the dastardly act of claiming your city.

 
At 10:54 AM, March 06, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

In related Star Wars Epic Duels news, I have inbound a General Greivous figure plus two of his robot guard sidekicks from the WotC miniatures game. I'm pretty sure these are approximately the same scale as SW:ED. Even better, the Yahoo SW:ED group has developed a heavily playtested and balanced (against the original 12 teams) General Greivous deck. Perhpas we can have rematch adding him to the mix?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home