Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ted Goes Berzerk!

Ted had an amazing run today. First a resounding victory in Perikles against Steve and I. His point total was in the 70's while Steve and I were tied at around 45. Amazingly, this was Ted's first time playing, so he's a natural at ancient Greek politics and warfare. This game gets better each time I play it... a true keeper in my book. I'm even growing to like the combat system more as I perceive additional layers of subtlety to it.

We rounded out the morning with a quick 3-player game of Nexus Ops. This game is truly Twilight Imperium 3 in 45 minutes or less, which means I like it a lot. There aren't many fun, light 3-player wargames, and this one fit the bill quite well. Ted again dominated for most of the game, with Steve a few points back in second and me even further behind. Ted, you da man!

Oh, and thank you, Ted, for the delicious empenadas and to both Steve and Ted for making the morning journey to my place. These Saturday morning sessions are awesome!

4 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

There's nothing better for a Sat morning that spreading mayhem and destruction.

I had a great time w/ Steve and Ben, helped no doubt by the fact I won both games.

Perikles is just a great game. Lots of different systems that are interacting in interesting ways. Really neat.

Looking back, I have the perception that Steve and Ben spent a lot of time attacking each other. In a 3 player game, if A and B attack each other, then C wins. For the first part of the game I didn't go after the bright lights of Sparta or Athens, but instead targeted the 2nd and 3rd tier cities where the pickings were easy.

Nexus Ops is a total blast. They did a great job of forcing folks to attack, attack, attack! That might grow thin in a long game, but the game also only lasts 45-60 min. It's a lot of fun.

I went first, which is an advantage, but the other guys got more resources therefore more units.

I have to say my victory was due to the luck of the draw on my secret missions. I was able to quickly complete ~6 pts worth which game me a commanding early lead. At one point Steve announced the goal was no longer cash but "Hurt Ted." I think he meant that in the best possible sense, of course. ;-)

Loads of fun.

 
At 9:22 AM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

As Sparta burned, one consistent cry could be heard from the terrified citizens...

"HE'S RUNNIN' AWAY WITH IT!"

Two great games, and Perikles is one that we definitely need to play a lot more.

 
At 6:08 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Perikles is one that we definitely need to play a lot more

From crying and pleading to play this at DL for over a month, to this....

priceless.

 
At 6:09 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

BTW, if I could get to stop working on Saturdays, I could joing you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home