Sunday, October 29, 2006

Recent Tales, Future Tales


Nobody mentioned Friday night, so I'll summarize:

We played Castle, to mixed reviews. I like it, but I'm in the minority. [It's the only one in the 'small blue box' line I care for]. We traded and planted some beans. Sauron slapped the hobbits around, which was fun in a "viewing a train crash" kind of way.

Then we found out who was famous, and who wasn't. As it turns out, everyone but Jacqui knows Nibbler. And only Jacqui's partner (Jeff) could pull that name out of the bag. And the sound of one hand clapping (two fingers to the wrist) means Spider-man. FYI. As usual in any game of Celebrities, it's fun to see who doesn't know certain names. I thought Albert Pujolis (aka A-Poo, see 6:56 pm entry) got robbed. I mean, half the crowd didn't at least put the name together with baseball. I wasn't surprised, but slightly saddened, that the most decorated Marine in US history didn't ring a bell with anyone. Check out some quotes -- "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them" or "So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards won't get away this time!" The lesson here-- keep getting surrounded and winning, you'll get noticed.

Tomorrow night -- our pre-Halloween gathering. Like every other week, but now with earlier sunset!

As for last monday, I wrote my review. In Haiku. No need to add more syllables here.

6 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Your haikus were excellent, Brian. I would've said so over at Tao of Gaming, but technology thwarted me.

In a stunning display of spousethink, Amy and I each used Legolas, Spiderman, and Schrodinger as three of our eight Celebrities. Or maybe we were just both tired/lazy. Perhaps a house rule that throws out duplicates after round one is neccessary?

 
At 1:12 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Castles was nice. Celebrities is always a game I'm happy to play. Also, we owe Sauron a beatdown or twenty now.

 
At 2:44 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

I didn't mention it, but Gort has a nice wikipedia entry. (The Town of Gort has a nicer one).

Not nearly as detailed as Klaatu Barada Nikto, but what can you do.

"Say it!"
Beep beep beep
"Gort! Damn it!"

 
At 2:54 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

I like Castle as well. I'm withholding final opinion until I play them all, but it's likely the far and away best of the Blue Box series. Fantasy Business still holds some promise.

 
At 6:03 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

I'm interested that you guys are having such a bad time w/ LotR. I played once with some friends using no expansions and Sauron set on easy (15). We thrashed him and dunked the ring easily. If anything, we thought the game was far too easy, and we vowed never to play on 15 again.

I guess we just got lucky.

I've wanted to play w/ the FnF expansion.

Someday I hope to make it back out Brian and Jacqui's. It's been almost a year since I was there last time.

 
At 6:12 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

My feeling (backed by a complete lack of rigorous data) is that 5 player is harder, and Friend and Foes is harder (at least with the Black Gate).

[Without the black gate, once you've killed all 30 Foes you win (and you can kill one foe by skipping a turn, and gandalf can deal with two, and a few of the new cards help, so you really only have to 'spend' to defeat about 15)].

We did mess up, we should have used Sam's "Ignore an event" ability in Bree to stop Sauron from walking six spaces. Then we probably would have died in Shelob's Lair, instead of Helm's Deep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home