Friday, March 17, 2006

War of the Ring: Riddles in the Dark

This week while jogging around the remote areas of Ft. Bragg, NC, I found my brain meditating on my recent experience playing War of the Ring with Jon. Now, without a shred of doubt, I know I need to play the game at least ten more times before I can speak with any form of authority or conviction. Nonetheless, I found myself this week pondering the possibility of whether the following variant would work, and if so, if it might be fun.

Riddles in the Dark variant: Both the initial hunt allocation of the Dark forces and the Action Dice results of both sides remain secret until used. The hunt allocation is revealed after the Fellowship's first move. Action dice are revealed by either side as the dice are used. Thus, the Fellowship won't know exactly what the forces of Darkness are plotting and neither side has advance intelligence on the other side's possible moves. Of course, a strict honor code is in force.

To me this might increase the tension level of the game significantly (i.e., a good thing), but also might put the Fellowship at too distinct a disadvantage. Anyway, I want to play vanilla WotR many times more before considering monkeying with it, and by then the expansion set will be out. Still, I'm interested in any thoughts or reactions on this idea.

5 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

The fellowship already has a distinct disadvantage, and I think this would make it worse.

 
At 10:16 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

You're probably right. I'm probably just smarting from the sharp spanking I received from the Fellowship.

 
At 11:25 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I think it is an interesting twist that I would be willing to try.

Yes, the mystery would add to the tension of the game, but at times, I do want my opponent to see my roll, and particularly how many I allocate to the Hunt. By placing lots in the Hunt pool the Shadow can disuade the Fellowship Player (at least for that round) from advancing the Fellowship.

 
At 12:27 AM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Ben,

A fellowship wins are few and far between, I think this would skew the balance even more towards the shadow.

 
At 10:48 AM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Perhaps just hiding the action dice rolls then...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home