Thursday, January 05, 2006

1/04/06 Session or "How UT Was Vindicated"

The festivities were a bit on the meager side with the only gamers being me, Jon, and our benevolent host Patrick. We started off with a couple games of Hunting Party. Jon and I moved at a snail's pace turn-to-turn as we tried to tame the myriad of variables flying around the table. We were promptly handed our sorry rears by an unstoppable Patrick (no surprise really). So as comeuppance, Patrick placed a handicap character on himself and gave us a free powerhouse each in return. Sadly, he still had to pull a couple punches as we struggled to take our turns in any sort of recognizably effective manner. I managed to win the second game over Jon after having known the Shadow's traits for well over half the game (and not being able to do a thing about it).

Next, we moved into the living room to turn on the Rose Bowl Game. I busted out my rather weak collection that I carted along, and LotR was selected since Patrick had never played it. Halfway through explaining the rules he asked "So why is this fun?" At this point I knew it would be a hard journey on the Fellowship. Alas, the Rose Bowl drew our attention over the plight of the Hobbits and they fell to corruption in Shelob's lair quite harmlessly. I can definitely see why a lot of people dislike the game as it is in truth a supped up version of Go Fish with dice and events. To each his own, I guess.

The last game to be tabled was Roborally, complete with my sexy painted bots. Patrick got a good first few hands and pulled away as Jon and I mutually screwed each other over, succumbing to cold-steel death on multiple occasions. As our bots smoldered in heaps of junk, runaway leader kicked in and Patrick easily coasted to victory. Between Jon and I, we only managed to tag a grand total of one flag (in a 3 flag game). I still think Roborally is genius and I would die a happy man if I were its creator.


Around this point we finally gave into the Rose Bowl and watched the whole fourth quarter game-free. It was a nail-biter to the end and I couldn't be happier with the win or suspense. So thanks again to Patrick for everything, including the advance copy of Hunting Party. I was a bit short of cash and didn't even expect it, so that was a nice surprise. Until we meet again.

-Simon W.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, January 05, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Great session report and a great bowl game! Hopefully this sets up a classis Notre Dame vs. UT matchup for the National Championship next year!

I really enjoy LOTR, especially with Friends and Foes added in, but I think you have to be totally into the theme.

 
At 12:34 PM, January 05, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Great report!

Yeah...I dunno about LOTR. I think its tough to make a good cooperative game. This one certainly didn't exceed the threshold of good. There aren't many choices, so I felt like I was just waiting for the game to guide me. I could be off base here, but I think that this game is probably only fun for those who are really into the theme.

My second game of RoboRally did not disappoint though. What a great design. I really enjoyed the addition of the timer, though it only had an effect once. Only problem with this design, as Simon pointed out, is the runaway leader. Both times I've played this it has happened. I'd like to look into variants that solve the problem.

Closing the night with UT winning seemed very satisfying. Thanks for coming over guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home