Thursday, December 29, 2005

One for the Gipper!


Our teams met on the icey tundra of the fields of Brooks City-Base for an epic gridiron slugfest. A merciless defensive chessmatch ensued with players carried off the field left and right! Fumbles, interceptions, goal line mishaps: we saw it all. Then awful effects of my school cafeteria's creamed chipped beef on toast took their toll on my young lads. Suddenly they couldn't stop the long pass; they fell down blocking the short pass; and just collapsed in the face of the run! Soon our fiercest rival was up 21-3 early in the 3rd Quarter! Desperation set in. I went for the bomb and came up big - a 54-yard play putting me in range for a quick touchdown to make it 21-10... Then the horror of horrors occured... the game had to be called due to flagrant spousal interference. Argh!

Pizza Box Football. With a game that combines football, boardgaming, and pizza-friendly components all contained in a pizza box, it was a must-buy for me. I had a great time playing Kendahl tonight, and I hope others in the group will express an interest. Just let me know if you'd like to play!

7 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

The rulebook lists the playing time for a full game at 90 minutes... I'll bet the next time we play achieve this. I was suffering a bit of post workout low blood sugar punchiness towards the end of our game.

The expansion also adds six more plays to the game (three offense; three defense), further enriching the strategic options. Also, I'd recommend we add in the Long Bomb and Goal Line plays as well.

The expansion has 32 teams specifically rated for strength on offense and defense for all play types, adding quite a bit of color to the game.

I also have the rules for running a 4, 6, or 8 team league, including a pairing chart.

So, who's ready for some football?

 
At 11:57 AM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Simon said...

Well I just spent 50 bucks for a bunch of wood to flick around on more wood (Pitch Car!) so I propose a Pitch Car League once my order arrives sometime in January. I didn't feel like buying the jump for 40 bucks until later in February. I think Brian even has Carabande (for those foreign races...Monte Carlo?). Anyway, there could be heats for pole position and then however many races using rally scoring to determine the winner. I'd much prefer it over Formula De' as dice don't like me when I need them most.

Well, it's another thing to mull over at least. I will say that Pitch Car plays up to 8 simultaneously...

Pitch Car Grand Prix people!



...or both? *sinister snicker*

 
At 12:49 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Ted said...

I'm interested in the idea of league. I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Is there copy of the rules on BGG?

 
At 12:50 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

I vote for both!

 
At 12:52 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Ted said...

I had to muddy the water with other options, but there's a series of games called "X-in-a-minute". One is "Inning-in-a-minute" and one is something like Touchdown-in-a-minute. It's heavily luck driven, but you are supposed to be able to play the whole game in about 30 min, which would help with the league aspect.

 
At 10:24 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Oy! Well, whatever we do... you can count me in. I think adding a little running competition would spice things up a bit for our little group.

If it ends up being PB Football, I'd happily volunteer to manage the league, perhaps creating a separate blog for results and league standings to be posted.

 
At 12:33 AM, December 31, 2005, Blogger Simon said...

I checked out Pizza Box Football and it looks pretty neat, albeit pretty dice heavy and strategically limited (like it really matters with this type of game). Does anyone else own this so maybe we could have a couple parallel games per session?

-In addition to Pitch Car Grand Prix of course...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home