Friday, December 23, 2005

Dec 23rd Session Report

Jeff and Amy joined Jacqui & I (and our enthusiastic kibbitzer/daughter) for a few games. First up was Beowulf, which I'm growing quite fond of, if not good at. Jeff ran away with it, but I'm not sure how. Jacqui suggested her recent acquisition, Ubongo. This is actually a quick puzzle game, where each player has to fit several pieces onto a mat as fast as possible. Each player is using different pieces on a different mat (there are 36 double-sided mats in all, and you roll a die to determine which pieces you use). Whoever solves their puzzle first gets first pick of gems, and you are trying to make a big set. Jacqui and I got more gems, but Amy had the longest set.

Next up was the classic Ra. Let's just say I got greedy and did not win. Let's just say that....
Finally we played a new game, Parlay. I just recently got this (a gift from the publisher, actually) and was hoping to give it a spin. It's a poker/word game, which isn't a combination I've seen. And it's quite interesting. [Assuming you like poker or word games]. Sometimes you break up a word to make a better hand, sometimes you have a great word and terrible hand. A nice closer, and I eke'd out a win. I'll definitely be trying that again.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, December 24, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

Ra.... high up on my wish list, thanks in part to kendahl again b/c he made me see that bidding games can be fun.

 
At 11:41 AM, December 24, 2005, Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks to Brian and Jacqui for opening their home and The Closet to us. We had a great time.

I'm not sure how I managed such a decisive Beowulf win, either.

One can't help but think of Tetris when playing Ubongo. It's a very fun puzzle game that plays very quickly. I got totally thrashed at it.

Ra was a blast as well, and as Brian mentioned, Parlay was an excellent closer.

 
At 2:31 PM, December 24, 2005, Blogger Brian said...

I've just been informed (via my website) that the Parlay rules aren't as confused as I thought. It turns out that you add in the Length Bonus before deciding who has the high hand score (for stay/fold calculations).

 
At 2:35 PM, December 24, 2005, Blogger Brian said...

I think the Beowulf win was partially that you did very well in the simultaneous auctions, and didn't (as far as I recall) ever get knocked out of a major encounter due to a risk.

I handled the treasure well, but really overpaid (to come in last place) in the simuls...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home