Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The NEW BoardGameGeek



So as to add to the many threads that have popped up today, I've decided to add my own.


Has anyone seen the new layout for BGG?


I for one think the move is rather ill-implemented. I know Aldie quit his day job to bring us this but I think it shows by the now 50% of content belonging to ad banners and boxes. The site looks really cluttered and busy, mostly because there is no real color scheme to speak of. A little shading to the left and top bars would help a lot, making it a bit easier on the eyes. I fear new users might find the site a bit unintuitive and uninviting (as I do).

I went to my profile to keep my collection up to date and noticed there's a huge box of block ads right above the 'games' box, as well as all around it. I know I could pony up $25 to get rid of it but I have a hard time blowing money to make a website viewable. BGG was the only site I've ever donated to and I hope they fix a lot of the growing pains so I can do so again.

So what do all you guys think?

P.S. the picture is from Engrish. If you haven't visited there, trust me - you owe yourself to. Hilarity.

5 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

It is a little jarring at first. But...so was the original. I find much of the changes to be preferable. The top menu bar is much more friendly. You may be on to something with that color scheme comment though. Anyways, I'm just happy Aldie gets to quit his day job.

 
At 5:48 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

My first reaction was, "Dude! Where's my stuff!!" I don't have the energy right now to sort through it all, but it looks like it may take some time to adjust. I'm confident they're going to get flamed pretty hard.

I don't think I'd pay the $25 ad-block fee mainly because I actually like some of the ads from gaming companies (e.g., Seaborn Games).

All Your Base Belong to Us

 
At 8:52 PM, January 03, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

I'm with Patrick. The old Geek was unintuitive and hard on the eyes, but I got used to it, and learned where all the important stuff was. I'll send them some cash to keep my string of supporter badges going, but I'll have to give it a couple of weeks before I decide whether ad-block is necessary or not. Go Aldie! I'm always happy to hear someone was able to quit their day job.

 
At 12:10 AM, January 04, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I figured out that most of the slowness and all of the Google ad boxes (the annoying, non-helpful ads) are the work of scripts. I don't know what all browsers you guys use, but I have Avant which has a friendly little box to check for script ignoring. The whole boxes go away too, instead of just leaving giant white spaces. Too bad it also disables all the drop down menus...

Best Regards.

 
At 3:13 PM, January 04, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I don't mind the new layout....as stated above, we'll get used to it.... but I don't think it's better though. Why? Read on...

1. The Google ads windows thing is REALLY annoying. There are just too many.

2. No, I'm not willing to pay $25 to make them go away. I don't believe in ransoms. (Now don't get me wrong, I am and will continue to be an annual supporter)

3. The new format will definitively scare newbies away. I can't imagine a more hideous website to attract newbies to the hobby.

4. Why change it? It wasn't broken, so why fix it. Plus it doesn't look "improved"... just "rearranged".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home