Sunday, October 31, 2010

Domination of the World: Twilight Struggle Deluxe



After a long absence from gaming I got together online with Jose for a game of the new Twilight Struggle Deluxe edition. We used the standard rules with the new expansion cards. I love TS because its unpredicable and this game was no exception. Jose played the USA and I took the USSR. The USA dominated in the late game but a last minute goof on their part led to thermonuclear war and a soviet victory.

After many games of TS I have come to the conclusion that the original game is fairly evenly balance with the soviets have a slight advantage in the early war. The expansion gives the US a few more cards to help them stick around past the early war. The other option is the Chinese Civil War variant which does the same. I probably would not play with both the expansion cards and the CCW variant since that would give the US too big of an advantage.

One more thing, the combination of Vassal and Skype makes for a great online gaming experience. I highly recommend. The new Twilight Struggle module is great as it handles all of the recordkeeping and scoring for the players.

Looking forward to seeing more session reports.

2 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, November 01, 2010, Blogger Carlos said...

Interesting Mark. I got the Deluxe version along with the cards and I just added them into the mix. Aside from the two back-to-back games that you and I played some time ago all I know is the deluxe version. SO I guess that I cannot really appreciate the difference that they added.

I have yet to try with the Chinese Civil War variant.

 
At 10:58 PM, November 01, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Nice report!

TS is one of the games I'll probably be buried with. Definitely a keeper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home