Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gaming Report

Thanks to everyone who came! Nine people showed up, and I enjoyed the variety of games played.

Steve, Jon, and Michael were the first to arrive and we got in a few Rock Band songs before Chris and then Dennis arrived. And then the games were on.

First up was Battlestar Galactica with the Pegasus expansion. This was my first time playing the expansion, so I didn't fully appreciate all the nuances of the new game features. The humans won, thankfully. I think an unfortunate Cylon loyalty distribution made it easier on us at the expense of the early execution of Adama (sorry, Steve!). I look forward to playing it again.

By then, more people arrived in time for a round of Arkham Horror. Yog-Sothoth was our enemy, and thanks to some overlooking of the little fine print of "when you're lost in time and space, you get devoured" rule, we managed to win fairly easily. Woopsie. Better vigilance next time.

While Arkham was raging in the kitchen, a few other games were played in the dining room, but I forget the names.

We got in two games of Shadow Hunters, which is always light and mischievous fun. In addition, 25 words or Less was played, followed by Dominion: Seaside.

As far as easy-to-setup party games are concerned, I liked 25-Words. I'd definitely play it again.

Dominion continues to grow on me. Seaside adds some new dynamics that create for some interesting synergies. I have much love for the Treasure Map and Treasury cards. Embargos can kiss my grits. At least until I play it.

Thanks again for attending!

5 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, November 14, 2009, Blogger Mike S said...

Thank you for hosting, I enjoyed it

-Mike

 
At 10:35 PM, November 14, 2009, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

I had almost forgotten how to play BSG. Michael had an absurd number of strikes against him:

- Last to play
- Cylon off the deal
- Bad character for a Cylon (Starbuck)
- Cylon leader was wholly sympathetic
- Ridiculous number of skill checks were Starbuck's skill colors, preventing him from spiking and making him easy to identify and brig
- Second Cylon card at the halfway point
- Immediate execution of the person he passed it to
- Immediate lucky refreshing of our hands
- Not a single ship card all game

And so on. At least he got off a classic line at the end (don't put it here, he might read this blog).

25 Words or Less took some warmup, but our second and third games came down to the last word on the last card. Taboo seems tame by comparison, not to mention that's it nearly as dated as Stage II, with "words" like "Dr. Laura Schlesinger". Solid clue by Jon with "bullfrog"; my wife also got it immediately.

Last came a game I really haven't played in ages, Barbu. I've never played with the "two doubles required" rule, which I like. I took an early -96 on a horrible Queens hand and was waaaaay back at the halfway point, but thanks to some strong hands and Jon, aka The Redoubler, aka The Points Pinata, I was only down 45 going into the last hand, another Queens hand that Chris aced for the win.

Thanks for the chili, Anne!

 
At 2:27 PM, November 15, 2009, Blogger pat said...

Cant imagine playing Arkham's Horror w/ martinis. Hmmm.. but on second thought...
Thanks for a fun time Pat

 
At 6:18 PM, November 15, 2009, Blogger Anne said...

Pat: it's not wise, that's for sure. However, if I play an Arkham game where Cthulhu is the creature, I think I'll just start drinking anyway.

 
At 7:02 PM, November 15, 2009, Blogger Michael said...

Thanks again Anne. It was fun.

The NFL should just get rid of replay. There is no reason to have it any more if its only purpose is thwarted at every possible moment to suit the desires of Roger Goodell's office.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home