Saturday, November 14, 2009

BGG Con Spinup

Now comes the phase before every gaming Con where I do mass cramming of wargame rulebooks. Luckily I'm now in the phase of life where I no longer have delusions of mastering the 50-page monsters... just three to five 15-20 pagers... Come to think of it, perhaps this is a greater challenge.

Right now I have semi-solid plans to play Britannia, Successors, and Hellenes scheduled, though I'd also like to get Lock 'N Load, Unhappy King Charles, or even Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel to the table. We'll see... Luckily there are several of us going up with similar game tastes, so hopefully we'll be able to muddle through as a team. Who knows, we may just all end up having fun playing Tumblin' Dice and Crokinole for half the weekend.

Anyway... just a short post here to freshen up the blog a bit. Have a great weekend!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, November 15, 2009, Blogger Uwe Eickert said...

Ben, I know which game I would put on the table! LOL. Check out the new Zombie firefight that we posted online this weekend. Zombies?
Have a great weekend.
Uwe

 
At 7:09 PM, November 15, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Wow! We have a star lurker here! Love the new Nazis vs. Zombies scenario. I look forward to drafting the session report.

 
At 7:19 PM, November 15, 2009, Blogger Uwe Eickert said...

LOL, :) I got to meet Sid Meyers this weekend who held 3 workshops at the Michigan Con. Wow, very informative on the psychology of gamers and how designers must carefully take their expectations into account. For example, gamers expect to win a battle at 3:1 odds. If they lose the first time, they will most definitely expect to win the second time. How does a designer take this into account? How will players react if they lose twice in a row? Will they think that the system is broken?

I was also taught the new Caligula game. It is really deep, much more than I expected and I think that I will really like it after a few more plays. I love the backstabbing aspects of this game. (Go figure).

Well back to designing the Gettysburg game....

Have a great week.
Uwe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home