Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Latest Order... and other Randomness


Its been a while since I made an actual post to the blog, so I thought instead of hijacking Tiffany's plea for weekend Euro-gaming, I would take the bold step of posting my own fresh material. So... here are some random thoughts.
First, here is what I just ordered from Coolstuffinc.com:

  • Age of Conan
  • Memoir '44 Campaign Book 1
  • End of the Triumvirate
  • Formula D: Chicago / Sebring Track

Yeah, I'm too lazy to insert BGG hyperlinks. Age of Conan, now that I've read the rules at FFG, looks to me to be quite a bit of fun, with possibly almost as much thematic table talk as BSG, by Crom!

Speaking of BSG... nah... too many spoilers. My wife keeps teasing me about watching robot smut.

Memoir '44 Campaign book, with ~50 linked scenarios seems to be the holy grail for fans of the game. Now if they'd just add undead to BattleLore and link the two games....

Speaking of which, I saw where a new Nazi Zombie level is about to be released for CoD:WaW. I need to play more of this.

Unfortunately, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix has been a tad delayed on XBL and is getting mediocre reviews from the PC crowd. Bummer!

The place where I work is declaring an in-the-office "fun day" for April 1st and playing board games all day is actively encouraged. I think this must all be a dream... You have to love working for the federal government. Thanks for the tax dollar-supported gaming! I need to go talk to that nerd down the hall with all the painted Mech miniatures in his cube to see what he has cooking.

I've actually finished studying Paths of Glory, and Mark and I are kicking off a PBEM game. If Brian is up for it, I'll even start a second game.

Having resolved to hold off until Fall (or until Diablo III and/or Star Craft 2 are too tough to resist) to upgrade my PC gaming rig, I'm going back to play more Civ IV, Company of Heroes, Medieval Total War 2, and Dawn of War I. All are still good fun. Multiplayer, anyone?

My loyal Angband character snuffed it on Level 34 via nasty, poison-breathing hydra. I made the fatal mistake of getting lazy about buying enough potions, and the unforgiving game taught me yet another cruel lesson. Back to level 1....

Okay, that's probably enough silliness for one post. I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, February 28, 2009, Blogger Brian said...

Thoughts:

1) Maybe after the Ides of March I can start a PBEM.
2) BSG has robot smut, Dollhouse has actual smut. And hopefully more.

 
At 9:09 PM, February 28, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the PC version of the new Puzzle Quest. Mediocre is too kind. The first one was better because it was at least fun for a while. The new one is PAINFULLY repetitive. There are probably over 30 locations to go. You have to solve a puzzle to open the door to each one. After the first three or four, I had had my fill. Now it's actively discouraging me from playing.

You need certain resources to do certain things in the game, but there's no way to tell where they are other than to go travel there and look. When there's probably 15 different resources and over 30 locations that they may or may not be at, again, it's just painful. The lack of an ability to see what each system offers after you've already been there is almost unforgivable.

The game is playable. But so is Tic-Tac-Toe. Enough said. Ben, come over here and try it before you pay money for it. You will thank me.

On the subject of video game misery, I've been ducking out of board gaming to work on my presentations for a while now. But I have been playing a bit of Puzzle Quest and Grand Theft Auto as little breaks (downloaded the GTAIV exp but haven't played it yet). I had forgotten how good of a game GTAIV is. It's fantastic. But I'm at the very end of the game, on what I presume is the last mission (has anyone else finished it other than Simon?), and let me just say that the game is sorely missing one thing: CHECKPOINTS. The last mission goes on, and on, and on. And when you die 15-20 minutes into the mission and you get dumped back out to the very beginning, and it happens again, and again, and again...I tend to say something like this.

I'm probably still out of gaming through next weekend. (NOOOOooooo...)

 
At 9:30 PM, February 28, 2009, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

I also bought Puzzle Quest (thanks to a Gamestop gift card from Christmas). Call me crazy, but I dig the minigames; they're repetitive, but always challenging. What drove me nuts at first was being instantly attacked everywhere I went. The trick is to mine as much as possible, then sell the results in enemy ports to raise your faction. Doesn't take too long to have free reign everywhere.

 
At 11:41 PM, February 28, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

New games are fun.
Working is over rated.
That is all i have to add. :)

 
At 8:09 PM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Someone needs to do a Sunday session report.

So.... what's up with my wife now telling me, "That's what she said" jokes and telling me she wouldn't kick various things out of bed? I think the SABG banter I bring home is infecting my family! No one is saying "Fraking" yet, thank goodness.

 
At 8:27 PM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

The Friday session report should be called "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Points if you get the movie reference.

I've noticed that the attacker has one all four of my games. That setup advantage is tough to beat, at least for newbies.

 
At 8:28 PM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

I meant the Sunday session report, of course.

 
At 9:04 PM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Schifani said...

Sunday, Jon, Michael, Dennis, and I battled for Middle-Earth. Ben forded a swamp, and most resembled:
A) Jon after the 4th hour of TI3
B) Steve playing RFTG
C) Chris playing Perikles
D) Tiffany playing BSG
E) Anyone being asked to play Junta
F) All of the above

Christopher Lee was robbed of his Best Supporting Actor Oscar in Epic Duels.

 
At 9:06 PM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Schifani said...

That's what she said now joins kudos, shenanigans, it's all good, and dialing up a blitz.

 
At 9:08 PM, March 02, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Ah.... a Dirty Dancing reference. Yikes.

I kicked that swamp's ass! Darth Maul... not so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home