Friday, October 03, 2008

Introducing Friends to Gaming

One of my friends came over tonight for a nice introduction to some Euro gaming. She has heard me talking about this mysterious gaming thing that I do, and is contemplating some Monday gaming, but wanted to try some things out first. So she came over for some snacks and gaming goodness. After looking at my collection, I wanted to give her a sampling of gaming, without bashing her over the head with stuff. She liked the look of Puerto Rico and Notre Dame, but since it was the two of us, i decided against it. I also didn't wanna attempt Agricola, though the thought did cross my mind, and I was quite tempted. So after all that inner monologueing we I decided that perhaps starting with Fjords was a good idea.

Sandra caught on quickly and won one of the three rounds, but the final round was very close. I ended up winning by one space. (much to my relief (sadly))

We then moved on to Cartagena, a nice little game of pirate debauchery. We ended up playing two games. I pulled ahead quickly in the first game, and she did not get her people out fast enough. In the second game she won, pulling all her people into the boat before I could get my last two there.

Then I decided to move onto something with more depth. Something near and dear to my heart. Tikal. And she liked it (much to my happiness. the more people who will play it with me the better). We ended up two final points about.

And so, Sandra said that she would be in touch about gaming. So I might start bringing a friend. :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, October 04, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Very good. I haven't been proselytizing much recently ...

 
At 11:14 PM, October 04, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

i wouldn't so much say that I have been proselytizing, more like wait -- why aren't you free on Mondays -- oh yeah, that board gaming thing that you do. what is that again? sort of thing.

 
At 7:15 PM, October 06, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

Tiffany, I have found that most of my friends are pleasantly surprised when they try a game. I usually use Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride when I introduce a non-gamer to our world.

I think that most people cannot break the paradigm of what they think a board game is and they have visions of Monopoly, Sorry, or RISK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home