Saturday, June 14, 2008

Re-Writing History... The Hard Way

Yesterday Steve again punished me for my foolishness. We refought the Battle of Gaugamela using Command and Colors: Ancients, with me as Alexander the Great, and Steve playing the always evil Persians. Our initial set up looked pretty much like the diagram above. Steve's initial cavalry charge on the right was quite succesfull, though Alexander leading the Companion Cavalry was able to beat it back. Stevel launched an elephant into my main line, stomping a unit or two of my finest phalanxes into bloody toe jam before finally being hacked apart. My loyal general Parmenion (who was later, historically, executed by Alexander for suspected disloyalty) on the left chewed up a couple of Steve's troops who were watching the elephant rampage, but in the end, it just wasn't enough. Steve launched back into my center, slaying noble Greeks with great impunity, thus destroying the future of Western Civilization. Good job, buddy!

We also played the Battle of Pharsalus using the same system, this time with me take Julius Caesar to Steve's Pompey. Once again, Steve destroyed history by crushing Caesar. It was great seeing how system models the different capabilities of the various armies using only subtle changes in the unit characteristics. Great fun.

We played another 2 games of Lord of the Rings: Confrontation, this time with the variant characters. Steve and I were both able to dunk the ring.

Lastly we played a couple games of Battle Line, the best themed poker variant I own.

Thanks again to Steve for hosting! It was great to get some gaming in before what's shaping up to be a totally busy weekend.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, June 14, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I have the original Confrontation, and I'd like to try the deluxe version at some point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home