Saturday, October 20, 2007

Workers of the world unite!

The dialectic propounded by Lenin and Marx and perfected by the great Stalin has proven its inevitable truth. Tonight the workers of the world threw off the shackles of their capitalist oppressors and formed a worldwide union of soviets. The proletariat now live in a workers paradise while their capitalist oppressors have been reeducated and perform useful service to the state.

Jose joined me for a couple of games of Twilight Struggle Friday evening.

Game 1 began with the overrunning of Israel by the combined Arab armies followed shortly by the conquest of South Korea by Kim Il-sung’s red army. This allowed the Soviets to quickly dominate the Middle East and Asia. Their hold over these regions became unbreakable after the Vietnamese revolt Islamic Revolutions. The withdrawal of the colonial powers allowed the hammer and sickle to spread quickly throughout Africa. Meanwhile Castro and Che’ spread revolution throughout Latin America. All of this proved too much for the Americans and they finally succumbed in turn 6.

Game 2 began with American hesitation in Western Europe. Although the Marshall Plan was instituted almost immediately, the Americans delayed the formation of NATO leaving the door open for Soviet interference throughout Western Europe. The Soviets skillfully exploited the American oversight and Italy went solidly red while France and West Germany teetered on the brink. Arab armies overran Israel again while South Korea fell to the North. Despite all these disasters, the Americans managed to claw their way back into the game. The war in Afghanistan distracted the Soviets while Radio America rolled back communist control over fragile governments in Southeast Asia. The expulsion of the Soviets from Egypt got the Americans back into the Middle East. Things looked better for the Americans in Africa and Latin America. American influence spread quickly from South Africa and Libya. America maintained good relations with her neighbors to the south gaining substantial influence which kept Castro at bay. The Soviets had a slight victory point lead going into turn 7. At this point we had to call it an evening with the game being too close to call.

Twilight Struggle is an outstanding game which needs to hit the table a lot more often than it does. Jose is a gentleman and a skillful competitor. I look forward to our next game.

7 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, October 20, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Glorious...Glorious!

Great report, Mark. I'm Glad you and Jose were able to keep the momentum going on the war games. This is a game I would really love to try. I know that there are several follower of TS in the group and finding other enthusiasts will not be a problem.

 
At 9:29 AM, October 21, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for the report. I think I've played my share of Race for the Galaxy, but 1960 should be out soon, and several of us are getting Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage.

And I suspect a few of us would play Paths of Glory (or Here I Stand) if we got the chance.

 
At 9:07 PM, October 21, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Excellent report.

I still like this game a lot. I'v probably played it about 5 times (with a session online with Ben).

(beating a dead horse)
BTW, the Vassal module looks and works flawlesly.

 
At 10:40 PM, October 21, 2007, Blogger Mark said...

Rob, I finally have time to try using Vassal. I will email you.

I've now played 3 games of TS and it's a solid '10'. I got to play my first game as the Americans and it is tough. We didn't have time to finish that game, but from the looks of the cards the Soviets would have won had we continued.

 
At 9:16 AM, October 22, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Playing the US is definitively challenging. I like that though. It's like playing with the Franks in Crusader Rex.

The best I've been able to do with them was that one time that I played with you Mark (which, of note, was your first time playing). By "having done the best" I mean surviving with the US until round 10....only to be pummelled by the soviets in the end game scoring.

 
At 7:38 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I have not yet gotten to play this.

I might check out the Vassal module.

 
At 7:38 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I have not yet gotten to play this.

I might check out the Vassal module.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home