Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Monday Gaming


For a while, there were just three of us monday -- Michael, Chris and me. Michael, like anyone with an addictive OCD personality, was clamoring for more Tichu. But, as we were three, we played Take it Easy and Parley. [My initial thoughts on Parlay are on my blog].

When Jon arrived, Michael got his wish ... and some of the most atrocious cards since St. Louis at the turn of the 20th century. [OK, technically they were the Browns when they went 29-102, but still ...] [That's all the baseball content for this week, folks!]

While we were playing, we got some new attendees! Joe and Carolla stopped by, having been pointed our way by Ben. They tried out Roma while I kept our table entertained with repeated Tichu calls. Anyway, when everyone was done we switched to Citadels. Sean arrived just in time to make it seven. After a back and forth game, I managed to get the Architect on the last turn, not get assassinated, and draw a cheap building to finish all five colors for six points (at the cost of one gold) and the win.

At this point Joe and Carolla (and eventually Jon) said goodbye, and we went back to Tichu. Michael and I got off to a terrible start, and eventually had around 650 to Sean and Chris's 970. We managed to get 110 points the next hand (which cost our opponents 10), which put us over 700, but still left them a mere 40 or so from winning. However, on the next hand I managed to call and make Tichu as Michael and I went out 1-2, for 300 points and the game.

Then everyone went home.

One note for our growing Tichu community. According to the FAQ if you win the Dragon trick by bombing, you don't give the trick away. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, August 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for teaching me Tichu, guys. I went on BSW and handily won the first game I played, including finally making my first Tichu call (which took me a few games to get the confidence to do).

I then got humiliated in the second game.

Still, very addictive.

Still looking forward to Roma.

 
At 5:46 PM, August 01, 2007, Blogger Michael said...

My bad. I just reviewed the article in question and it says don't bomb the Dragon in general because one of you will be getting the trick anyway. I think in my lack of sleep induced haze, I read that as what I was saying Monday. Oops.

Parley seems like it would be more interesting with more players.

 
At 10:13 PM, August 01, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

I have to try Tichu someday... it may be the trick-taking game that will win me over.

 
At 1:38 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger BrainDeadHippie said...

hey thanks for letting us try out roma - Carola just bought it off of board game geek
- Joe

 
At 5:55 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger seanp said...

Heh. Pretty soon we'll be playing with the right rules. That's the problem with learning a game on BSW - the computer keeps track of scoring / dealing / etc

 
At 6:31 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Roma is on BSW?

 
At 6:42 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

As one of the many resident pedanticists, I have to object to Rob calling Tichu a trick-taking game. Tichu is a climbing game.

Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

 
At 6:43 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

She bought Roma? We so totally have two new members.

Yeah for everyone!

 
At 9:38 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Climbing game = trick-taking with a BIG twist.... in my book.

 
At 9:40 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Seriously though, I want to try it. BSW would be great, but given that it's a partners game, I feel like i'd get grilled for playing wrong and not "getting it".

I'll just wait to play in person someday.

 
At 9:25 AM, August 03, 2007, Blogger seanp said...

Sorry - Tichu is on BSW - I don't believe Roma is there yet. But you can polish your Notre Dame skills there as well!

 
At 9:27 AM, August 03, 2007, Blogger seanp said...

Oh, and Rob - if you visit the "town" of Emerald City, there's quite a few really friendly English speakers there, and I know several who are really good with new players. Just tell them you're looking for a teaching game, and you'll be set!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home