Saturday, August 11, 2007

Four cheers for Chris!


Not only did he host, he had a ton of food ... donuts, bananas, and the like! (Scott also brought some food, and Steve may have too, I'm not sure). Truly impressive. People streamed in starting around eight-ish. There was baseball (oh yes), while the rest of us started off with Power Grid. I lost, and I'm not sure how. I really must learn how to count.

After that there were a couple of games going around. I saw the Marvel Comic Heroscape, Some zooloretto, and we played Augsburg. Now that I've played it three times, I'm lukewarm. (It was a trade, though). Then some Smarty Party, to feel the cleansing hate.

Followed by Lunch. Despite all of the breakfast stuff, Chris (and Steve) went out and got fajitas. During the caloric interlude Guitar Hero was set up and played. Then it was a split again. Ben and I played the War of the Ring Expansion. (I've played the base game a dozen or so times, but never the expansion). In general, things went for the free peoples. I got decent hunt roles and usually stretched the sieges out an extra action or two. On the downside, I did have to deal with the Balrog. Overall the expansion is fine, and I'll have to try it a few more times, but I'm not sure it's better than the Will of the West variant for the base game.

Anyway, I also saw Kremlin, Battle Lore, Win Place or Show and then there's all that happened after I left. For all I know it involved a buffet. Post in comments.

(The game shown is Suppenkasper, where you try to maintain your ideal weight. There is a weight track, where you move from anorexic to morbidly obese).

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, August 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The final game of the afternoon was when Jon and I joined Michael in a rousing game of "Pin the Side-View Mirror on Michael's Car." I think we'd all call it a success(although the replay value is nil).

Steve and I got to get the Battlelore expansion units on the field of play and had a really good time with them--they seem to mix up the game just enough to make it interesting but not enough to unbalance or break anything.

I got to catch the tail end of Win, Place and Show, and it looked like a blast. I think Jon's strategy of having Michael roll elevens over and over was clearly the right strategy to take in the final race. Scott, I hope you bring that game around again.

Thanks for coming, everyone. I actually counted 11 for most of the morning (I have taken the liberty of including myself). I *really* enjoyed having everyone over and would be happy to do it again soon.

I must now go purchase Civ 4 Beyond the Sword at Circuit City for $15. Thanks for the tip, Michael.

 
At 6:58 PM, August 11, 2007, Blogger Michael said...

Thanks again Chris for hosting and providing the meals. I left my little tupperwarish thing there that I had brought the grapes in. Maybe I can grab that back some time although it isn't super urgent.

Re: Kremlin: Most dominant play ever, ever.

Re: Win, Place and Show: I think my strategy of repeatedly and self destructively honoring Jon's request for 11s on the last race was karmic payback for my selfish request for a 12 on the last turn of the second race that was granted.

Re: Mirror game. Next time I would like to play without the hundred degree heat expansion. All it seemed to do was make the gameplay more tedious. Although if they somehow incorporate sexy mirrors, I'm all in.

 
At 8:28 PM, August 11, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Best hosting job ever! You've truly set a new standard, Chris. I do like the idea of the strictly voluntary potluck buffet type of situation, as we often don't order pizza until many are already starving, and its nice to snack throughout the day.

The game of Marvel Heroscape Chad and I played was wonderfully fun, and I'm jonesing for Heroscape something fierce. Must resist...

Powergrid is one of my favorite eurogames, and the Italy map was quite challenging. Heading to the south of Italy didn't seem particulary viable, but that may be because we were playing without Sicily.

WotR never fails to deliver. Brian pulled it out with ten corruption and me perhaps 2-3 turns from military victory. Great job!

Beyond the Sword is like crack, Chris. Set boundaries for yourself now before its too late!

 
At 11:00 PM, August 11, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for hosting, Chris!

That was the most fluke Kremlin win ever, ever.

 
At 11:55 PM, August 11, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

Best line from the Kremlin game:

"I'm not the Angel of Death, I'm the freaking Angel of Life! This is *&$&ing bull@^&*!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home