Sunday, May 13, 2007

Saturday Recap

Lets see. Games played:

Mississippi Queen:planning to be the mad rammer, while fun in theory, sucks in practice. Jeff won a disputed (not by me) victory. Of all the race games (I am not a fan of the genre) I find Ave Caesar to be the most acceptable for some reason.

Citadels: Creative shuffling of the roles by Jon allowed him to run away with it.

Coloretto: Jon's masterful take every color every time strategy ran away with it again (guys where's the metagaming? hello?)

Traders of Genoa: Amy ran away with it cashing in like 20 mega deliveries (I might be forgetting key details like what they are called and the exact number but it was totally ridiculous). I had a great (allegedly) first day, but it was downhill from there. I was actually closer than I originally thought since I forgot to add in vps for my buildings until about 11pm tonight (midway through a game of big boggle at the "other" gaming group).

Dragons' Gold: Not a fan of it at all. The treasure resolution mechanic is just terrible. There I said it (I may have said it earlier, don't remember). The magic items were almost universally lame except for one which was very good in our group. Two boournses down on that game.

The Rum and Pirates game: I verified that I cannot hold my alcohol, but more importantly discovered that Amy can hold hers slightly worse than me. Yay random luck, although I will claim that was payback for getting stung by approximately 6.02x10^23 scorpions.

Quick(read 1 hour) drive from Jeff and Amy's house to the "other" gaming group about 4 miles away (that type of traffic on a saturday wtf mate????)

Some game called traxx?: I think this had to be by the same people that made Hive. Bakelite Hex tiles in a murse of some sort. I should have been more attentive to how full the bag was because I managed to set up a potentially and probably closeable big loop, but delayed closing it to try to interfere with the other players loops, and then all of a sudden without warning the bag was empty and I was dead.

High Society: I tried to introduce heavier fare, but was firmly rebuffed. I lost the first game when a card I had to have came up and I just didn't have the right change to bid a reasonable amount for it (I had my 25 , 4 ,3 ,2 ,1 and any bid up to 22 would have won the game for me). In practice I bid my 25 and hoped for the best and the best was boourns. Played like 4 games of this and that was the closest I came to winning. Boournsed yet again.

Big Boggle: I ran away with it thanks to a few good rounds. We played some rules differently than I am used to (we were allowed to use 4 letter words and allowed to use plurals as well, both of which seem to be moderately ridiculous since the lists were forever long)

Saw Ben's favorite Cranium being played and Cranium Hoopla being played. Also saw Alhambra and Mah Jongg being played. Someone brought Vegas Showdown and TTR (unplayed) and Princes of Florence, Modern Art, and Puerto Rico (my contributions other than High Society) also found themselves being surprisingly unloved. No celebrities, since ashamed of my lackluster kit, I shipped off the key parts to my sister a few weeks back so she could entertain guests.

The other group isn't quite the Monopoly-fest that Ben claimed though just to get some non mis-information out there. I was impressed that Vegas Showdown made an appearance even if nobody technically played it per se.

Also, no pictures for you, I was up at some ungodly time yesterday morning and it is time to sleep (possibly after replying to Brians recap).

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

If High Society counts as heavier, then you will walk those dark places alone.

For Big Boggle I'm fond of changing the scoring to be:

5 letters - 1
6 letters - 3
7 letters - 6
8 letters - 10
9+ letters - 15

[Plurals not counted of course].

This puts the emphasis on longer words, not lots of short words.

 
At 11:16 AM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Wow, depresssing post. Stay away from sharp objects...

 
At 11:33 AM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Michael said...

The only thing really depressing about the day was Dragons' Gold and the traffic. I guess an exhausted poster equals depressed exposition? But in case you were worried I made it through the night and morning successfully.

I think I could have talked people into Vegas Showdown or Princes of Florence if I had really wanted but I was somewhat interested in playing a party game myself after 9 hours of non party games at Jeff and Amy's house so I didn't go into pressure sales mode.

Your scoring method and rules for big boggle is much more in line with my expectation. I think the scoring we used was 1-2-3-5-11 for 4-5-6-7-8+.

 
At 3:40 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Amy wasn't 100% that we were ending the game correctly, but after scouring teh intarwebs and the rules forums at BGG, it turns out the only thing we were doing wrong was our method of determining turn order (which I don't think had any significant impact). We found multiple translations of the rules, which didn't all agree with each other. Boourns, indeed.

Assuming that Amy's recall of the Traders of Genoa final scores are correct and that Michael failed to score his ownership markers, then he should have won, so it was a close finish and nobody ran away with it. That was a good game of ToG.

I may give Dragon's Gold a second chance sometime in the future, but I'll probably just trade it off. If I'm gonna play a negotiation game, I'll play ToG or Bohnhanza.

Thanks again to everyone who came over - it was a complete blast.

 
At 4:18 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Michael said...

Oh yeah and by "tried to introduce heavier stuff, but was firmly rebiffed" I meant that I suggested Princes of Florence and Puerto Rico and got negative interest from anyone.

Amy was close to 700 points while I just barely cracked 600. I only had 4 shops on the board so that couldn't possibly make up the difference. I liked ToG despite what seems to be my most negative post ever according to Rob. I didn't love Mississippi Queen (I thought the theme might be something totally different), really didn't love Dragons' Gold, but everything else was great.

 
At 5:42 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Micheal, there's just a sense of 'gloominess' to your post throughout...unhappiness....except for the lighter stuff: coloretto, and Citadels. Even your gaming with 'the others' (Lost reference anyone?) was lackluster.

I guess I was excited to see that you had some disappointments, so I focused on that (not because I WANT you to, but because I wasn't able to make it due to work and I was jealous).

 
At 3:32 PM, May 14, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

My favorite moments of the day:

Ramming my Mississippi river boat into the final dock at max speed, killing all my passengers!

The ten minute Rum and Pirates drinking contest (i.e., die rolling contest) between Michael and Amy. We saw the full range of human emotion played out over the course of a dozen or so rolls of a die...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home