Saturday, March 31, 2007

Axis and Allies: Battle of the Bulge

Al and I finally gave Axis and Allies: Battle of the Bulge a try today. We rolled for sides, and Al took the Free Peoples... I mean Allied forces. We reviewed the rules, set things up, and then I launched my evil Nazi attack.

For the first four turns (out of eight total in the game), weather prevents the Allies from using their vastly superior airpower. In addition, during turn one, the Allies cannot attack since they've been caught by suprise. I tried to make the most of this opportunity, but Al did a great job at conducting a fighting withdrawal.

Unfortunately, as the weather lifted and General Patton arrived to save the day on turn 6, I was up by 23 VPs, one point away from auto-victory. Al threw everything into one final counterattack, but it just wasn't enough, and a terrible scene of bad guys goose-stepping through my ancestral homeland of Belgium was played out. Good game, Al!

I have to say I was quite impressed with the way the new combat system and supply mechanics worked in the game. Although the game was a dice chucking extravaganza, I never felt things were very far from historically plausable situations. At various points be both thought the other guy was running away with it, so I think play balance is pretty close as well. This game was definitely money well spent.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, April 01, 2007, Blogger Rick N said...

Ben, you know how I feel about this game: best of the A&A series. Every game has been really intense and exciting. I don't own it, but I do look forward to playing it again. If you get an itch to play, let me know.

 
At 8:44 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Ben, I would love to help you play this game. I am also interested in A&A Europe.

I must say that when A&A first came out in the 80s, I was not a big fan. I neither hated it nor liked it. But the new releases seem to get good press from experienced gamers, so next time you are wanting to play, I would be glad to give a try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home