Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Quest for the Board Gaming Trifecta

There is a fairly notorious episode (titled "The Blood") of the sitcom Seinfeld where character George Costanza tries to create a situation where he experiences his three greatest pleasures in life (in this case food, television, and sex) simultaneously, aka The Trifecta. The premise is that achieving a trifecta would provide the ultimate level of satifaction. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work out for George when his girlfriend gets offended by him bringing a pastrami sandwich and television into their bed.

Now taking this principal down more than a few notches to strictly speaking of hobby interests, I've always wondered if there is really such miraculous triumvirate out there. For me key hobby interests are board gaming (of course), computer gaming, reading, fitness, and woodworking. Here's some examples where I've been able to get two of these interests together at the same time:
  • Perikles, C&C: Ancients, War of the Ring: Board gaming and reading

  • World of Warcraft: Board gaming and computer gaming

  • Building Dice Towers: Board gaming and woodworking

  • Listening to Board Gaming Podcasts while working out: Board gaming and fitness

The list goes on. Still, I've never figured out a way to get the elusive combo of three of these interests all together at the same time, and I'm have a hard time imagining how I would do so. Anyway, I keep looking.

Each of you of course has a different set of hobby interests. Any of you ever achieve a trifecta?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

board gaming, computer gaming, reading, fitness, and woodworking

Got it: Get a laptop, set it up on a stationary bike (fitness) , play Settlers of Catan (boardgaming) on Vassal (computer gaming/reading the dialog) using WOOD as the only resource to build towns, cities, etc ('working with wood'), while listening to the Dice Tower (podcasting) on your headphones.

Me? Too hard to find one: guitar, golf, boardgaming, computer gaming, exercising, podcasting.

 
At 8:56 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:58 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

I may have actually found a trifecta. In my groupings of things I like, I classify gaming as a single category rather than board and computer. This is bacause I like to play computer games multi-player rather than just me vs. the machine. I also like team-work activities in just about anything (games, work, sports,...). I like intense competition where creativity is the name of the game.

For months now I have played an online WWII game called Red Orchestra. There is nothing like being in a tank (Russian or German) with one or two other players while communicating VOIP. Sometimes tow or three of us really come together as a team and we really help each other out. The competition against the oposing team is fierce and I find myelf exausted after a good session.

Good sessions are rare and usually only about one in four is such.

I also have my eye on Shadows Over Camelot and hope that this game will bring me close to this experience.

 
At 12:17 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

One possibility is playing a game like Arkham Horror (board gaming, literature), then doing 30 pushups every time your character loses a stamina hitpoint and perhaps 30 crunches every time you lose a sanity hitpoint, thus adding fitness into the mix. Perhaps I'll give this a try as a solo endeavor.

Carlos: You've got me thinking about Red Orchestra... at the moment I'm thinking about getting the latest Command and Conquer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home