Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Epic Duels On-Line Tournament

Although I'm not yet committed to the 2-3 years of tournament play required for the new Barbarossa to Berlin tournament, the Yahoo Vassal-based Epic Duels On-Line Tournament looks like a lot of fun. I've just signed up for the "Purists Tournament" which starts on 2 April 2007. What is nice is that you can sign up for divisions requiring one, two, or three games per week, depending on your level of interest/availability.

Epic Duels is a quick, fun game with lots of chrome and theme, and the Vassal module seems particularly well done. Even if you're not interested in tournament play and would like to just give the game a whirl sometime just let me know. If I'm on-line, I usually have Google Talk fired up, so just give me a shout.

May the Force be with you!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, March 20, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

I played my first game of Epic Duels last weekend and must say that it was fun. However we did play a three player last man standing. I think this would be more fun as a team game where the figures could work together. It really reminded me of a futuristic chess game.

 
At 12:04 AM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

BTW Ben, Jon and I played 3 rounds of B2B.... it's very very sweet. Long, but oh so good. No other game has given me such a fulfilling GRAND scale look of 'The Big One'.....and that was in only 3 out of 18 rounds (ie 3 out of 10 hours).

 
At 10:31 AM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Sounds wonderful. Let's schedule a day to give BtB another run-through. Then, its on to Paths of Glory and For the People... all before Hannibal arrives!

 
At 11:30 AM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Ben - I think your definition of game chrome is different from mine.

The one I use is roughly: extraneous rules that add to theme, but have the potential to add needless complexity

Also, can anyone who has used both Google Talk and Skype give the pros and cons of each? I've been using Skype recently and am perfectly happy with it, but if GT is better....

 
At 12:55 PM, March 21, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Jeff: Perhaps a better analogy for what I called chrome is frosting, or really, theme. Sometimes the frosting is put on too heavy making the whole thing sticky and gross. Sometimes the wrong type of frosting is put on, making things seem weird or out of place. Other times though the frosting is my favorite part of the whole game (e.g., Epic Duels).

I think there's good chrome and bad chrome (aka fiddliness; or, complexity without an enjoyment increase return on investment). To me, the chrome is the stuff piled on top of the basic design to give the game system theme and flavor. Epic Duels only has the good kind, in my opinion. Anyway, I think we're just talking semantics.

As to Skype vs. Google Talk vs. other clients, I don't know. The reason I brought it up is I thought (for those so inclined) it might be nice (and probably more efficient) to coordinate weekly meetups through a bit of IMing. I'm not wedded to any particular client or system, but I've installed Google Talk because it was easy and well integrated with GMail, the only web mail system my employer hasn't figured out how to block.

Thoughts?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home