Saturday, March 31, 2007

War of the Ring: I was this close....

Steve and I played a game of War of the Ring (with Expansion of course!) today. He had never played nor read the rules, so I set him up with the Shadow. Wouldn't you know, he beat me!

I decided to try out my Strider push strategy by immediately separating Strider, Boromir, and Pippin on turn one, shooting them down to Fangorn, dumping Pippen next to Treebeard, then blasting down to Minas Tirith on Turn 2. Unfortunately Will of the West dice did not appear and for some reason I overlooked just burning an elven ring to get one. I held the Deadmen of Dunharrow card, so I shot Strider back up to Edoras. Steve had an army mucking about near Dol Amroth, and I was going to put the hurt on him with the skeletons. Unfortunately, I was one impulse too slow, and he moved out of skeleton range after sacking Dol Amroth before I could spring my trap. So, I just teleported down there with the skeletons, crowned Strider, and recaptured Dol Amroth. This whole process was fun, but I think it burned way too many dice doing all this.

Anyway, to make a long story very short I made it all the way to two Mordor spaces away from the rink dunk (still having only 2 corruption and a Fellowship consisting of Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, and Merry: very strong but perhaps moving a turn or two too carefully), when Steve achieved 10 military VP. Great job, Steve!

2 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

good session report.

 
At 11:42 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

I loved the game, and can't wait for my copies to arrive. It seems an excellent blend of details with playability. You can really feel the story develop.

But let me set the record straight. It was Ben's one brain vs. two, his and mine together. He was a huge help by giving me his honest opinions and advice when I asked for them.

I rolled 5 Hunt dice on my second turn, so I perhaps overreacted and went with too few after that.

And, given even luck, Ben would have easily made it to the mountain. But the dice were angry, my friend. My rolls for conducting sieges were consistently excellent, and my guess is that these fabulous rolls put me about a full turn ahead of the pace I deserved.

That coupled with Ben's lack of rolls that would have pushed the fellowship ahead opened the door for beginner's luck.

I'm amazed at how many different strategies seem workable. I had this all too cunning plan for plopping all the Nazgul into Dol Gulder, doubling the army there, and goose-stepping into Lorien...but I stupidly played the card in some meaningless battle for the small combat advantage. Oh well, that blunder probably somehow worked to my advantage.

I have 4 days with very little to do next week, can't wait to play again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home