Thursday, May 25, 2006

Origins Convention: Interesting Podcast Episode

This morning while jogging I listened to one of my favorite podcasts, Slice of Sci-Fi. The 23 May 2006 episode features an interview with Anthony Gallela, Executive Director of the Game Manufacturer’s Association, who is also the organizer of the upcoming Origins gaming convention.

Mr. Gallela had some interesting things to say about the gaming industry and how he thought technological developments were spurring the recent game surge. The episode is definitely worth a listen. I almost tripped and ran smack dab into a tree though when Gallela said the most popular games right now at Origins were Blokus and Settlers of Cataan!

Are we just totally the earliest of early hardcore fringe adopters here in SABG? At least he didn't mention Monopoly. I suspect his observations were based on industry sales data, but I thought at least Days of Wonder or Fantasy Flight Games would have merited a mention.

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

My guess is that the new games tend to split people into many small groups. Older "classics" like Settlers are games the many people know and enjoy. I bet there's lots of newer games being played, but the new games split the vote, so to speak.

 
At 9:52 PM, May 26, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Speaking of... Ted, you've mentioned Catan before. When are we playing? That one sits at the bottom of my collection

 

Post a Comment

<< Home