Saturday, February 18, 2006

Adventures in Egypt - 2/17 Session Report



I'm going to keep this session report brief in an attempt to avoid major errors. Jon, Simon, and Michael joined Amy and myself for another Friday night of Euros.

We got things started with Amun-Re. Pyramids were built, farmers farmed, and sacrifices were made. Fortunately, nobody crapped in my weaving hut, and I was able to squeak out a win over Jon due to the end-of-game gold bonus. While I could definitely see Dr. Knizia's fingerprints on this game, it doesn't feel like a Knizia. I like it, though, and will likely pick up a copy in the future.

We played High Society next. It's another simple, excellent, Knizia auction game with outstanding components. I had the most points at endgame, but I also had the least cash, so Amy got the win. I really like the "least cash at end of game automatically loses" mechanic.

Back to Egypt for our third game -- Ra. It was a tight game from beginning to end. I made a disastrous mis-bid during the third epoch. Jon had the best set of monuments at the end and those points carried him to victory.

We managed to break the string of Knizia games with our closer -- Fearsome Floors. It's too bad there's not a mummy that could have be used as the monster to build on our unintentional Egyptian theme. I purposefully set up the transporters to lead the monster into an early feeding frenzy. The game progressed into the second phase (where death is permanent). Michael was so close to victory that he could taste it, but Jon found a way to lure the monster into eating his token. That blocked Amy, who was breathing down Michael's neck, from winning on that turn, and Jon found a way to feed her token to Furunkulus on his next rampage. I managed to squeak past Mr. Tall Dark and Gruesome for a cheap win on my next turn. A bit of a kingmaker end, but it was highly entertaining.

A good time was had by all, and on another positive note, I didn't call Jon by Simon's name or vice versa all evening.

5 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

It was a bit of kingmaker in the end, but I couldn't pass up getting Michael and Amy killed on the exit square.

A good time was had by all, but I think that two games is my quota for Amun-Re, far to dry and not enough player interaction for my taste.

 
At 1:19 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Getting crushed by a two ton block of stone INTO the exit was the single most soul crushing monster homocide I've seen yet and I have to admit I laughed my ass off (from beyond the grave).

I thought Amen-Re was pretty boring and that Ra was much better although they are totally different games. High Society was a good filler even with our auction draw order being a little bit counterproductive.

Anyway, great session.

...CRUSHED INTO THE FREAKING EXIT! INTO IT!

 
At 8:12 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed Amum-Re, but being tired after work, I didn't assimilate all of the rules until most of the way through it. I'll definitely have to play it again.

I'm not a big fan of games where an auction is the main mechanic, but I think that's because I tend to over spend, especially during the first few times I play an auction game. Those poor performances often sour the game for me, and so I generally don't play again. High Society, however, forced me to not empty my hand, so I managed to manage my money better and enjoyed the game.

Fearsome Floors, while not my favorite, was an enjoyable way to end the evening. I thought I was going to make it out -- or at least win by default, since mine was the first token to exit. (A good number of tokens had been eaten by that point.) I do have to say that Jon's analysis of getting Furunkulus back over to the exit to crush my token was a brilliant move that I didn't see coming. My token didn't see it either, since he was behind the block...

INTO THE FREAKING EXIT! INTO IT!

 
At 10:08 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Hehe.

Oh and at least you didn't overpay for resources every single turn up until the very last one in Amen-Re. I can't even begin to think of the money and VP I carelessly tossed away...Perhaps I should pay more attention during rules explanations...

 
At 6:02 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I would say my opinion of Fearsome Floors was vastly improved over the course of that game. It just played out completely differently than night at DL. I enjoyed the other games, but I think its obvious which one I got the most into. Unfortunately I don't get my copy until later this month.

Great session, and as you'll see it did not conclude my weekend of gaming at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home