Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sandals and Spears!

Strap on your sandals, grab your spear, tighten up that loin cloth, and be sure to pick up a fresh can of bronze polish! Oh, and please don't make those elephants angry. Its time for ancient wargaming!

If you are like me, your gaming interests periodically focus on one particular theme. In my case right now, its ancient history wargaming. Circus Maximus, Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage; Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia; Battle Line, Conquest of the Empire, Commands and Colors Ancients (which should arrive any day now...), and my now pre-ordered copy of War Galley... there's some great games out there! Heck, I'd even throw Colossal Arena into this genre.

I hate to admit it, but I think part of the appeal of this genre is just how incredibly vicious and bloody the era was. Who doesn't enjoy controlling armored elephants on the battlefield? Ancient battles were pretty much organized slaughter, with slavery being the best the loser could hope for. The Romans, for instance, enjoyed marching their enemy's captured generals down Rome's main street in a victory parade, then having them strangled. Yikes! Vae victis, indeed!

Anyway, I'm hoping Richard Borg's Command and Color Ancients keeps all the good things from Memoir '44 and throws a healthy, heaping dose of ancient battle flavor into the mix. In the mean time, maybe I'll crack open my copy of Caesar's Conquest of Gaul...

8 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I'm wondering if these pictures are of some of the costumed folks at BGG.Con the guy from Board Games to Go was complaining about...

 
At 8:13 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

haha. thats called amtgard sp?

anyone ever done it?

 
At 8:58 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Woo hoo! Command and Colors Ancients was waiting on my doorstep tonight.

 
At 9:23 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I really want to play that game, maybe we can get together sometime and get a play or two in.

I also have a love of Roman history, I used to participate in competitions on Roman History and on Roman Military in High School.

 
At 9:41 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

You went to a Roman Military High School? Wow, that must have been tough!

I'm planning on cracking the game open this weekend. Maybe we can set something up for next week.

 
At 10:05 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I'm pretty interested in C&C: Ancients. From what I understand, it's like Battle Cry or Memoir but with actual grognard type rules (I'm assuming like unit morale and cohesiveness...?). Of course, I could be very wrong.

Either way, me want play!

One of Jon's friend's dad actually built his own leather armor for ancient battle recreations. It looked pretty sweet. -And although they might have put foam around the wooden claymores and such, they still looked very hardcore beating the crap out of each other.

 
At 4:28 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Now there's something to add to my "List of things I want to do before my time's up". Cool pics.

 
At 12:25 PM, October 29, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

wow!..great picture....Nice to see people wearing boots....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home