Monday, January 16, 2006

Overlord Triumphant

A hard fought, 5- hour Descent slugfest, with adventurers Jeff, Jon, Simon, newcomer Chad versus the poor, innocent creatures of the Evil Invincible Overlord Ben. The forces of light initially made short work of my unprepared spiders, skeletons, and beast men, but in the end the forces of darkness prevailed!

Despite their ever increasing arsenal of magical bazookas, enchanted plasma-powered armor, and ethereal targeting lasers, each room the adventurers busted in on became a little tougher. Though Jeff could merely wiggle his wizardly finger at one of my creatures to instantly blast the poor creature into its component atoms, my dark powers were quietly growing ever stronger as well. The heroes fired a couple magic bazooka rounds into the chest of Igor, my elite giant ogre, but it was their first big mistake. Igor, a huge flaming mountain of rage, did his dark lord proud by rushing forward and literally mopping the floor with Jeff and Simon. Sadly, Igor when down fighting with about twelve flame tokens on top of him....

The dastardly heroes armored up, met up with the resurrected Jeff and Simon, and confidently trotted down to take on the final boss room. I had nursed my pile of threat tokens to near maximum and cycled through a whole deck of bad guy cards to have just the right final mix. As the final door opened, I quickly launched an exploding door trap on Simon sending him reeling. Chad moved forward, and I dropped him in to a series of spiked trap pits, sending him to the graveyard.

Jon, the armored wrecking machine with the ability to cleave through a whole pile of monsters in a single turn, ran into my dragons lair, only to see the dragon, two giants, two sorcerers, two beatmen, and two skeletons all facing him. Unafraid, he waded through three of my weakest monsters and lopped off the head of an elite sorceror. Alas, invoking devlish incantations, the sorceror sprang back to life without a scratch, blocking Jon with a now fully awake horde about to pounce.

Jeff, with his death ray, fired two long range shots at my ancient dragon, hitting both times. Jeff scored wicked wounds on the beast, knocking it down to below half strength, but not killing it. Then it was my turn...

I cast a dark charm on Jeff and forced him to shoot the death ray directly at himself. Jeff hit himself pretty badly, but most of the damage was absorbed by his eldritch armor. Drat! Next my mob of sorcerors, beast men, and skeletons pounced on Jon, hacking him down to just a few health. Then it was the dragon's turn, who blasted both Jon and Simon, leaving nothing but a smoking pile of charcoal and molten mithril where Jon used to be. My elite Giant then moved forward to lay down a killing blow on Simon. Simon vainly tried to fight him off, scratching him slightly with a glancing blow. With a hearty laugh, the giant brought down his mighty hammer on top of Simon to end the game with a mighty, squishy, crunch! (Insert evil laughter here....)

We played from roughly 1030 to 1530 without a break, which made everyone pretty hungry and ready for the game to be over. However, I had a blast the entire time and was never bored. If better food and beverage provisions had been in stock, I don't think the time factor would have even been an issue. I totally thought I was getting beat down by the heroes until the last room, but the climax was just ugly enough to knock them back down to size. A very close game that literally came down to the last turn. I'd have to rate this game an 8.5, marking it down slightly for the length. With the expansions that are doubtlessly on the way, I'm sure it'll soon be in the solid 9 range.

11 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I'd love to post all that happened, but my brain is fried beyond recognition after eleven hours of pretty much straight, solid gaming...

So I'll give a full report of the rest of the day's events on the main page tomorrow.

Ow.

-Simon W.

 
At 9:44 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Sweet!

 
At 9:47 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

You guys are home already?? I thought RR Tycoon and Caylus would still be going strong....

Woo hoo! Who nominated us, I wonder...? We rock.

 
At 9:51 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Hey, did anyone get Chad's information? We should invite him to the official membership. He seemed like a good guy who knew a lot about board gaming.

 
At 10:03 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Hey, cool... my blog post about asking my wife to choose between Gorillas with Machineguns or Kung Fu Fighters was nominated as well...

 
At 10:04 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Cool pic Ben...and session report! Too bad I missed it. Still, thanks to Jonathan and Simon for waiting for me and giving me at least 1.5 hours of gaming today (from 1930 to 2100).

Now my session report:

New civilizations rose and fell all over the world through the ages. But in no other place was this more true than between the Tigris and Euprhates rivers. The Bull (Jonathan), Archer (me), and Urn (Simon) Dinasties got off to a peaceful start for the first 2 rounds. Then the greedy and way-too-confident Archers mounted an easy attack on the battle-naive Bulls. But little did they know that it was all a facade. Bulls their symbol is...and as bulls they unleashed their stampede of shameless retribution on the Archers. The Archers were quickly sent away scrambling towards smaller empires as the Bulls polished the small dents on their armor.

Meanwhile, the cunning Urns were quickly building their empire in the far reaches of the Tigris away from all the merciless battle. They quickly built 2 monuments one next to the other securing some very productive rounds. A few Archers scampered to pick up the scraps.

The Archers trying to rise from their fall, tried coordinating an attack with the Urns by destroying key structures in the Bull's empire to split it in half. Alas this only slowed the relentless Bulls for about 3 rounds as they rebuilt their empire.

Eventually the Bulls aimed their horns towards the cowardly Urns with a few well-aimed attacks on their "safe" Utopia. This debilitated them allowing the Archers to pick of even more scraps to score a few points here and there.

In the end, of course, the mighty Warhammer of the Bull Dinasty pummeled all the other smaller empires to submission. It was a great game.... I've never had this much "conflict" in a game of T+E. Can you say rematch....with 4 players?

 
At 10:06 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

No RR tycoon (I think it wasn't played). I brought it again, but brought it back again unplayed. I played with my wife yesterday and it definitively is not a game meant to be played by 2 or 3. The map is too big for that. Can't wait for a 4-6 player game though.

 
At 10:33 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I just found out my copy will be here by Friday. Woo hoo! That makes three of us with copies of RR Tycoon. We officially have no excuse not to get that sucker on the table right away.

Great session report, Rob! I've yet to actually play T&E. I feel somehow without that merit badge I'm still a Euro-game cub scout... One of these days I'll have to actually see if it really is better than sliced bread.

Looks like Brian's blog racked up some serious nominations as well. Congrats, Brian!

 
At 11:33 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I have to say that my brain is fried after 11 hours of gaming today. But, I still had a great time and got to play 3 games I had not played before.

On RR Tycoon we should try to get it on the table really soon. Maybe we could play it on a sunday so we can fit in a full game without having to worry about time.

 
At 8:53 AM, January 17, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Chad and Bryant - great meeting you guys and hope to see you again soon.

Too bad I couldn't stick around for more gaming after Descent; sounds like you guys had a great time. My brain wasn't quite fried after five hours nonstop, but it was beginning to brown around the edges.

Scarab of Death!! w00t!!

 
At 2:19 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

You all might find this interesting:

Board Game News has a post where they discuss the same Descent scenario we played on MLK day:

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comments/rick_thornquist_tales_of_playtesting_descent/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home