Sunday, January 10, 2010

Since we're discussing electronic stuff


... I figure I'll mention my recent purchases for the XBox.

BioShock -- Solid. Decent story, hella atmosphere. Good sneak and smash shooter. More importantly, a nice duration. Four or five sessions (~3 hours each) and I'm done. I could go and redo it at a higher difficulty, but that's fine.

Oblivion something (IV?) Elder Scrolls -- Came with BioShock. I'm not into RPG games, and despite SIR Patrick Stewarts voice acting, nothing has changed. I was bored inside of an hour.

Left 4 Dead -- Nice shooter. My "I have 20 minutes" game of choice (apart from Rock Band). I like the team work aspect, and I think this would be a good game for a Saturday get-together. No complicated back story, and teamwork is mandatory. Not bad as a single player (computer controlled team-mates). I'm sure that the harder difficulties are beyond me.

Fallout 3 -- Uh, I thought this was more shooter than RPG, I was apparently wrong. Still, it's a post-apocalpytic setting. I almost turned it off after 30 minutes, but lasted another 30 (past the introduction). I'll probably give it another few hours.

So overall my purchases have been hit and miss, but seeing as how I got all 4 games for ~$60, I'm pretty happy. And with no Bloodbowl on the horizon, they'll do.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, January 10, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Sounds like someone hit the Gamestop used game bin.

If Fallout 3 isn't your cup of tea, I'd recommend Borderlands. It has a very similar setting (though somehow on another planet/dimension... weird, but still post apocalyptic), but dials the meter way more to the action, comedy-oriented shooter (no spoilers, but its a total crackup), and its co-op with up to four players to boot.

I have Bioshock but haven't played it. Someday...

Modern Warfare 2... Good stuff. Spec Ops co-op, anyone?

 
At 11:28 PM, January 10, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fallout 3 is Oblivion in a different costume. Otherwise, it's the same game. I felt exactly the same way Brian did about both. I wanted to like them a lot, but the gameplay just never grabbed me.

Ben, Bioshock 2 is less than a month away from release now. If you ever play Bioshock, it'll surprise me. But it's definitely worth it.

Brian, I need to lend you Mass Effect at some point. I can't tell whether you'll like it or not. It's also more of an RPG but it's probably my favorite I've played on the Xbox. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2 coming out in about 2 weeks.

 
At 7:42 AM, January 11, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

All of this video game talk has fried my brain. Last night I dreamed I was on a planet overrun by Zerg. "It's a Zergling, Lester..."

 
At 11:09 AM, January 11, 2010, Blogger Fred said...

Pretty sure you're not going to like Mass Effect, it's 40+ hrs of RPG, and Fallout 3 and Oblivion (and Dragon Age for that matter) are in the same mold.

 
At 1:11 PM, January 11, 2010, Blogger Rob said...

Fred stole my words. Based on his opinion of Bioshock vs Fallout, I think Brian is more into the action RPG's.

Mass Effect plays more like the ones Fred quotes. Eventhough, you do have the option to play real-time, it is just "behind the scenes dice-rolling" in realtime... not like first-person shooter/RPG's where your actual FPS skills determine whether you score a hit or not.

Which reminds me, I need to reinstall Bioshock in my new rig, so I can play it through. I never finished it in my old slow-as-molasses PC. But must finish Dragon Age first....

 
At 1:14 PM, January 11, 2010, Blogger Rob said...

BTW, we may have to change the group's name to SAVG here soon...

 
At 5:56 PM, January 11, 2010, Blogger seanp said...

We just need to have a monthly video game swap... no need for everyone to buy the same game multiple times!!

 
At 6:41 PM, January 11, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Excellent idea. We should cut out the middleman on trades.

Now that BGG is launching Videogamedo.com we'll be able to post our video game trade lists and inspect them via an SABG guild.

 
At 10:43 PM, January 11, 2010, Blogger Brian said...

I played Mass Effect for a few hours. Very pretty, but just another GO here. Go Here. Go Here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home