Saturday, January 09, 2010

Commands and Colors: Napoleonics


I know a few of us are considering this next version of Richard Borg's gaming system of a thousand colors, C&C: Napoleonics. I've never had a huge interest in the subject matter, but reading some of the development discussions intrigues me enough to keep this on my radar. Some of the key differences over previous versions:

-- Units will lose effectiveness as they lose blocks. This will add a minor bit of complexity to the game, but I think also a much needed increase in realism. It always seemed ridiculous to me that the final few legionnaires left standing in a decimated (term actually used in proper context here) cohort could cause as much damage as a fresh, undamaged, fully manned counterpart.

-- This ruleset was the original C&C system and has been on the shelf since 1995 when no one was interested in publishing it. Apparently its been tinkered and toyed with since then and is just waiting on art.

-- The initial set will apparently only include partial orders of battle (OOBs) from a few countries. Future expansions are likely to be country specific, plus the inevitable Epic expansion.

Anyway.... I'm not ready to push the button yet, but I figure perhaps I'll just play Chris' copy to see if its any good. :-)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, January 09, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to be waiting a long time... ;-)

We'll see. I'm on the fence about this, leaning towards no because, as we've established, I'm a crochety, miserly, no-fun old fart. (Actually it's because I've got about a bazillion unplayed C&C:A scenarios that I need to get to first.)

I like the idea of reduced effectiveness, I think. It would seem to favor attacking rather than defending. I'll be interested to hear how it plays out.

 
At 10:15 PM, January 09, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Foiled again, I see....

I really need to put stickers on my other C&C stuff before I consider this. Perhaps I'll get it with my Fall 2010 GMT discount coupon.

Other than the Combat Commander Normandy Battlepack, my next GMT game is Washington's War.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home