Sunday, August 23, 2009

1805 Sea of Glory: Gaming with the Designer

This week on Aug 26 I will be participating in a Vassal learning game of GMT's about to be released 1805 Sea of Glory. I've been eagerly anticipating this strategic block game of naval Napoleonic warfare for probably close to two years now, so getting to learn the game with the designer should be a real treat. There were six slots total available for the game, so if anyone else is interested, there might still be a chance to sign up. Go to ConsimWorld for the details. The game looks like great fun for you Hornblowers out there. In any event, I should have a physical copy of the game later this month, so this game should have me well prepped to offer one of my legendary rules instruction sessions...

In unrelated news, A&A: 50th Anniversary now goes for $497 on Amazon... though I hope no one is actually paying such a hideous price.

Speaking of A&A, has anyone else been following the designer's notes on the upcoming A&A: Pacific re-release for this fall? Apparently the game starts in 1939, providing the Japanese player the option of deciding when/how to spring Pearl Harbor. The game will be designed from the ground up to be linked to A&A: Europe, to be released next year. I doubt I'll ever get Asia/Europe Engulfed to the table in their combined form, but this might actually be a monster I'd consider playing.

My copy of Middle Earth Quest should arrive tomorrow, UPS willing, along with lots of sleeves, the new Runebound: Arctic Wastes, and the new Formula D track.

The new Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes looks very shiny and pretty. Now that I own about 5-6 games in the series, its probably time to learn to play...

The game I've been killing time with this past week is the old school PC game Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. The game still have a huge on-line following, and the fan-made maps and upgrade patch/mod are amazing. Anyway, I'm just trying to milk the last few months out of this dog of a PC before the jump to quad core happens.

Okay, final ramble... what is everyone reading these days? I'm onto the New Space Opera anthology edited by Gardner Dozois. Good stuff!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, August 24, 2009, Blogger joefling34 said...

If you want to play some MEQ wendsday or thursday let me know, i can probably make it to DL in the evening. I have played 3 games already and its very fun.

 
At 6:44 PM, August 24, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Thank you for the offer. A monster box arrived today from Coolstuffinc, but I have another 15 pages of 1805 Sea of Glory to learn on a molecular level before Wednesday night.

Worst case I'll probably play the living daylights out of MEQ at BGG.con.

 
At 7:46 PM, August 24, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

Speaking of BGG con....I think I might focus on wargames this year. Or at least I'll give them at least some loving this year. I've got too many unplayed cool games.

 
At 1:22 AM, August 25, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

GMT is conducting a live demo of 1805 Sea of Glory Tuesday evening at 8:30 PM for those on the fence...

Rob, I'm right there with you. We should put together a list of what we want to get to the table; see where the overlap is; and start reading some rulebooks. Better yet, perhaps we should start a BGG.con wargame planning Geek List. The tough thing about wargames is that due to complexity unless you've already mastered the game, you can't really just decide on the fly that you want to play.

 
At 9:05 PM, August 26, 2009, Blogger Mark said...

The new A&A: Pacific looks quite nice. I always thought AAP was the best of the series. I loved the convoy boxes, airbases and the way China was handled. The combined Europe/Pacific game is something that could be quite playable. I may have to order a copy.

Wargames need love too. I haven't even been able to play online in several months. Hopefully things will settle down and I can get some gaming in.

 
At 9:18 PM, August 26, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Playing 1805 right now with the designer... wow, this is a fun game, though it takes six hours to play. I think I'm becoming a block game convert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home