Thursday, August 13, 2009

The True Meaning of Arbor Day

Our discussion of the XBox update missed on big point... before Tuesday, setting up your XBox to stream directly from Netflix involved, well, it seemed pretty complicated. But I set it up on Tuesday in about 2 minutes (1 of which involved going to my computer) with no fuss. And last night I streamed a TV show (30 Rock) and it took about 15 seconds to start and had quite acceptable quality. I wouldn't watch a movie full of 'splosions on it, but for a sitcom it's just fine.

This turns Netflix into a clear winner vs Blockbuster (since both let you have 2 DVDs at a time for $14, but Netflix lets you stream a few thousand titles as well).

Oh, and the first discs I watched ... Torchwood: Children of Earth (Season 3). A 5 hour miniseries that requires no prior knowledge of the world (which is good, since I had none). Quite creepy, although it could have lost an hour or so

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, August 13, 2009, Blogger Michael said...

I don't think the link you gave is indicative of the setup process for Netflix since the NXE came online. I'm fairly certain that didn't change.

Watching movies in a party is a bonus though. It needs to be tested whether or not everyone in the party needs to be a Netflix subscriber. I'm guessing yes but still hoping no.

 
At 8:00 PM, August 13, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

You have the option of doing the MST3K thing with your avatars, though I suspect this would lose its novelty quickly.

 
At 8:07 PM, August 13, 2009, Blogger Michael said...

Heh

I could definitely see the appeal of non human avatars then.

Croooow

 
At 9:42 AM, August 15, 2009, Blogger Brian said...

All I know is that when I tried to set up streaming before the update, the XBox didn't really give me any hints, and on tuesday it was obvious what to do. It may be that I tried to setup the box right after signing up and there was some delay in getting my user ID into the system...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home