Saturday, June 06, 2009

The game of the day...

...wasn't a boardgame. Welcome to the world of MMA.

Dennis brought over his UFC 2009 Undisputed for the XB360, and some of the gang fired it up while others ran to Taco Cabana for food. The game was an instant hit, with people taking turns throughout the afternoon pounding on each other, pulling knees and arms in ways they don't bend, and dropping people on their heads. The game has a lot going for it--great graphics, quick playing time, many options for moves and maneuvers, and competition
distilled down to its most basic form. We will see if it has staying power in the SABG video game rotation, but at least today I think it saw more play time than Rock Band. I was just amazed today as I thought about how far games have come in the past 25 years. Remember Karate Champ?

We got in a variety of boardgames as well today. We started with a 5-player game of Small World that moved pretty fast and saw Dennis prove insurmountable with his Formidable Sorcerers. The Galactica once again sailed through the ether and ran into the unassailable variant Cylons. Meanwhile, Tiff, Brian and I (with Ben joining later) got in some games of Dominion. We got Talisman to the table again, with Dennis running just ahead of me into the Plain of Peril and grabbing the Crown of Command for the win. Dennnis, Ben and I also got one of my new games, Memoir '44: Tigers in the Snow, to the table, with the German Tigers proving just barely too strong for their British counterparts. Brian and Dennis played a quick game of Ace of Aces (the dogfighting picturebooks), and Brian, Dennis, and I finished up with Through The Ages, with Dennis again pulling away for the win.


Thanks to all who came. I'm sure we'll do it again soon. Practice your kung-fu.

7 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, June 07, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

At least that BSG variant is balanced...

 
At 4:02 AM, June 07, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

I also love some of the claims in that thread:

This variant makes it MUCH easier for the humans. Yep, yep, yep, easy peasy.

 
At 8:24 AM, June 07, 2009, Blogger Brian said...

Buy the way, Michael called us during our Through the Ages game to bitterly complain that none of the first three stores had a copy of UFC unleashed, and that his steering wheel had somehow gotten him in an armbar.

 
At 9:16 AM, June 07, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I got on to this site last night, I wondered, "Why does Blogger have me watching three blogs rather than one?" Looking at the blogs, one of them was Vicki and Ben's blog. I quickly realized that it was because my computer still had Ben logged in.

I briefly thought about my big chance to promote myself to admin and demote Jon and Ben. It would have been glorious. But instead, I just logged Ben out and logged me in. The chance had passed.

Just wanted to let Jon and Ben know how close they had come to having their tyrranical reigns come to a end.

 
At 12:09 PM, June 07, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Dominion was fun. I want the expansion now. It is out. Maybe that shall be a July purchase.

UFC was so so.

Talisman -- I am OK with not playing that again for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Next time we should play something fun. Tiffy fun. Not Michael fun. :)

 
At 1:59 PM, June 07, 2009, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

My Saturday:

Small World
Battlestar Galactica
Rock Band
UFC Undisputed
Talisman (+ Dungeon)
More UFC
Memoir '44
Ace of Aces
Through the Ages

Just about the perfect day. Maybe upgrade Memoir to C&C Ancients, or jam some minis in there somewhere, but otherwise, flawless. More please.

 
At 10:52 PM, June 07, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

My new CAF is 8-1.

You'll never guess how I died that one time. Hint: It rhymes with farmcar. Hint 2: It was literally 30 seconds into round one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home