Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Race" indeed...


It turns out that 6ish means 6:30, unfortunately for Dennis who thought it was much closer to 6:00. Everyone else apparently was well versed in this convention, and showed up much closer to the designated time. I was the first of those who arrived at the correct time, so Dennis and I attempted Shear Panic again, this time as a two player game. It definitely works much better with two rather than three players, but this game sadly does not live up to it's incredible production values. And I'm not just saying that because I lost. I'm not seeing too much "plan ahead" ability on this, so it's really more a matter of timing when the scoring hits than positioning for said scoring. It's too bad - I WANT to like this game.

Chris and Brian showed up mid-game, and so they played a quick game of To Court The King, which I think they consider superior to my "it was only a buck" Knights... I must admit I've forgotten much of how to play that one, so I'll leave comments to them.

We followed that up with Race For The Galaxy. Race is a bit of a misnomer, as my galaxy resembled the black hole sucking and spewing radiation in the photo... No, it's not that bad. I love this game, and I'm getting better and better at it, which means I don't make the same mistakes I did ten games ago. That doesn't always mean my scores improve, but it's something. My one complaint is that the card draws can be infuriating... the card you need, the card that has to be there SOMEWHERE in the deck, has a nasty habit of coming into your hand the turn AFTER you've abandoned your losing strategy and gone for a thumb-in-the-dike move instead... I guess that's what they like to call "interesting decisions". Dennis and Brian kept trading wins, and I don't remember who won that last one, but after a few more "just one more game"s we finished up the night at post 11pm with seven? games of Galaxy under our belts...

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, December 18, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

I wish some gamers over here were more impressed with the game. Most are turned down by the sheer number of cards, symbols, etc, and don't look forward to being over that hurdle.

 
At 11:13 PM, December 18, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

"...so it's really more a matter of timing when the scoring hits than positioning for said scoring."

Exactly. It's pretty much Nim with cute sheep. I found myself choosing actions not by the effect they'd have on the sheep, but in order to leave certain numbers behind for later. Which is not a bad thing, just not what you might expect.

We played eight Race games -- Brian took three, then I ran off four, then Brian took the eighth. We'll have to play several dozen tiebreakers soon.

 
At 11:49 PM, December 18, 2007, Blogger seanp said...

I only came in last in three of those, I think. But I only thought we played seven, so there you go - maybe it's the math that is my problem in these gaming contests...

 
At 5:26 AM, December 19, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Although I too enjoy Race for the Galaxy, I've played it so many times recently I need to give it a rest for at least a month or so. Perhaps Simon can fill my seat for a while...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home