Sunday, December 16, 2007

Saturday Session Report

Though my discretionary gaming time lately has been getting eaten up by my new job and new X-Box 360, Saturday board gaming is still, thankfully, a large bright spot in my weekly routine.

This week, an element of SABG gathered at Chris' house for a solid day of gaming fun. Here's what I remember playing (not in chronological order):

Fury of Dracula
Notre Dame
Glory to Rome
Citadels
Neuroshima Hex
Castles
Doom (rules explanation only)
Guitar Hero 3 (Steve on X-Box 360)

With the possible exception of Castles (a $1 purchase by Sean at BGG.con), all of the games were great fun. I really do want to get a full game of Doom to the table sometime soon. Fury of Dracula was a good as I remember, and the good guys actually managed to pull out a victory against evil Chris this time. Neuroshima Hex really is best as a 2-player game. The visible scoring track leads unavoidably to kingmaking, and other than heckling there isn't much to do during other players' turns. Still, I'm glad I own it as its relatively quick, yet meaty enough to be interesting. Citadels was good just for the trash talking, and Glory to Rome gets better with each play. Notre Dame is a solid "7" in my book. I'm never extremely excited about playing it, but its always satisfactorily entertaining.

Chris, as usual, outdid himself with the highest standards of hosting. Man, those breakfast tacos were good!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, December 16, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

My comments about the new games are
on my blog.


As for the rest: Castles was actually called Knights. We talked about playing Castle, but didn't.

The tacos were good enough that the cat tried to drag one away. Mmm ... tacos.

 
At 8:07 PM, December 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad cat! Baaaad cat!

I enjoy Neuroshima Hex. I still think it's a fun, quick, bloody game with two or four. We played a 4 player game at BGG that was a lot of fun (I'm sure the fact that I won tinted my view a bit). I like the confined space. If the game had more spaces (and more choices) per turn, the analysis paralysis would really drag the game down. As it is, the short turns with limited space for tile placement, combined with multiple battles throughout the game, lends it a feeling that rapid-fire action is always present or imminent, and that is most of the game's appeal in my opinion.

Dracula...yeah. First game I've seen (out of four, I think?) where the hunters have won. It didn't help that I (inadvertently) cheated, which I paid for by losing a third of my health and revealing my location. How embarassing. After that, I never could quite get away. Credit the hunters- they played a smart game and always had a plan. Overall, I really enjoy the deduction element to this one, and the theme feels well integrated. It never has really felt unbalanced to me, and it does include some variants in the back of the rule book to tip the balance towards whichever side the players feel needs it.

This was one of my favorite Citadels games I've played. I always enjoy watching the cards go around and seeing people debate about what role to choose, especially because the targets of the assassin and thief are not always predictable.

Knights- not a bad pickup for a buck. I'd keep that sticky on there, Sean--for some weird psychological reason, it seems like I keep thinking "This is pretty good for a buck!" as we play it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home