Saturday, November 18, 2006

They can have my game when they pry it from my Sandy Claws

I see that Tom "Top Reviewer" Vasel has started another BGG Secret Santa. I'm tempted. The issue isn't giving, but building a wantlist. Most games I want are expensive (like $100+), or games I wouldn't buy but would trade for. I don't expect Santa to pony up, which means I'm getting a game I wouldn't buy ... by buying a game for someone.

I'm hard to shop for.

The reason? I buy games I want. I'm not as impulsive as younger me, but that's my curmudgeonry showing. For example, I'm tempted by some GMT offerings in their flyer, but I'm holding out. I do qualify for a 50% off item. I may go for the free counter trays. (Probably $5 after shipping). Like Jello, there's always room for counter trays. [Ben and Rob -- you guys probably qualify too, as I'm sure you noticed].

I've never gone in for math trades, or ultimate trade lists; perhaps I should. Is there an easy way to filter these? Perhaps an ultimate trade list for San Antonio? We could do that here. A swap meet would be easier. Thoughts?

In related pimpery, I'm ready to sell Successors, Totaler Krieg! (with some expansion stuff) and perhaps Pax Romana. Odds of playing are low, they are valuable, and taking up space. I'll list them on eBay next weekend unless someone shoots me an email. Games on my trade list may be sold, too.

8 Comments:

At 2:18 AM, November 19, 2006, Blogger Yehuda Berlinger said...

You could always sign up to donate a game without getting one in return.

Yehuda

 
At 9:37 AM, November 19, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Nice post.

Wow, now that is one big trade list!

I've also been trying to clean out my closet. I just E-Bayed off all the Duel of Ages stuff for a pretty good price. All my trade offers on BGG have been spurned so far, but I have hope.

 
At 1:48 PM, November 19, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I traded Alhambra for Java! Suck that Tanga!

...Of course I just bought a fat stack of poker chips from them on the cheap, so I think they still win overall...

Fluxx and Mission Command are looking to be given to Goodwill at this point.

 
At 3:21 PM, November 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Brian, I seriously have my eyes on half-priced Here I Stand. I still have until 12/31 to decide.

On the new p500, Blackbeard and Successors III sounds nice.

On the fence about taking the plunge on these.... unless my wargames see more light of day.

Like you Brian, if I want a game, I just buy it. Haven't been too interested in trading in the past.

 
At 7:06 AM, November 20, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I do qualify for the GMT 50% off special, but I already have everything I want. If someone from SABG wants to cash in on my benefit before 31 Dec, just let me know!

Europe Engulfed at 50% off is tempting... perhaps I could just E-Bay it... nah, that would create bad karma.

 
At 7:07 AM, November 20, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

....or someone else in SABG could use it to pick up the newly reprinted Twilight Struggle... just a thought. Tournament play begins anew in January!

 
At 9:17 AM, November 20, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

A local swap meet sounds like a good idea. A lot of my trade stock is currently tied up in a math trade, but it should be done with by tomorrow (11/21/06).

Off the top of my head, it seems that the easiest way to handle a large number of local trades would be for everyone to update their collection on BGG (making extra-sure to mark things "for trade") and then use the BGG Trade Proposal function.

Ben - Is your copy of Fairy Tale in English?

 
At 11:12 AM, November 20, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

dYep, its in English, but I'm not really convinced I want to part with it. I was trying to throw it in as bait for a trade I was proposing, but it didn't work out.

I do need to update my collection and make some tough choices.... I'm running out of room in my closet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home