Thursday, July 27, 2006

I am impressed.... a micro and belated session report

Well there seems to be a growing crowd of passerbys who come by and read about our amazing feats on this site, most of whom I'm sure we are not even aware of. I know it's late and kind of pointless when almost the whole group is showing up to these gaming sessions, but here is my micro and belated session report to last Monday's game night. BTW, I am really impressed with how many are coming to these sessions. It's been a while since I had been to one of these (about 6 weeks!), and I was blown away when about 12 showed up.

So in summary, I got there like at 4pm. Michael, Jon and I played a LIGTHNING round of T+E. It took us 30 minutes. I still think it's a brilliant game. Score was super tight (even when I got like 3 red tiles for the whole game AND NOT even a single treasure). Brian got there when we were finishing.

We all four then played GOA. Cool game. I don't feel it is Puerto Rico-like as it's been described in past posts on BGG, but it's cool. Many many things going on at the same time. By then Jeff, Ben, and Chad got there and started a game of..... ?

The main event was Shadows over Camelot with Brian's expansion AND the traitor. Well, I have to admit: adding that Werewolf-esque element of the traitor to the game really makes it shine. I had played the game before with no traitor, and it seems just OK in my book. Brian's expansion (it's your right?) gives the game a similar extra twist like the characters on RR tycoon, or the secret mission in TI3 do.

Ben and Ted played Pacific Victory while we were accusing Chad of his treacherous ways.

Dennis, Jon, and some others (sorry guys) played AGOT with expansions. Don't know how that went.

Brian, Michael, Chad and I played Indonesia to cap the night. Very interesting heavy economics game. Definitively need to play it again to get a better grasp as to what works and what doesn't. I was still somewhat shady with some rules by the end of the game. Would love to get it someday (could anyone spare a Benjamin???). When we were finished it was 10pm, and I really wanted to rest my brain.

I hadn't realized, but if all Mondays are like that one, there's no reason to call "Super Game day" super game day. I spent 6 hours there playing all kinds of stuff. Last week on Friday, we were at DL for 6-7 hours too!

Now the latest is PBEM A+A. There have been some flaws, but we'll see. It may work. All I can say is, nothing compares to dishing pain (or getting pain) in a game F2F.

Looking forward to next Monday.

7 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I tried uploading pictures, but none of them went through for some reason.

 
At 8:32 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Yes, the blog has been acting strangely today....

I've been feeling guilty for not posting a session report of the games I played on Monday... I can't tell whether its because I'm busy this week or just lazy, but I'm finally catching up. Here goes:

Jeff, Chad, and I played a quick game of Nexus Ops. As we were starting, Jon remarked that he thought the game might be broken as in his experience, whoever went first always won. So, I was a little happy when we rolled, and I received the honors of going first. Unfortunately, at least in a three player game, Jon's predictions were off. Chad, who dominated our last game, proceeded to demonstrate his Nexus Ops prowess for a second time. He held firm control of the monolith pretty much the entire game, and even double teaming by Jeff and I against Chad as he pulled ahead couldn't stem the tide of his victory. Well played!

Next, Ted and I played the introductory scenario of Columbia Game's Pacific Victory. The scenario covered Allied vs. Japanese action in the China-India-Burma theater of WW2 during 1943 to 1945. Fog of war was high, and Ted started with a formidable pile of Japanese blocks on his side. As the Allied player I was stuck with a limited rag-tag bunch of Indian soldiers, American Air Force, and British Royal Navy forces. My initial strategy was to stem the tide of his advance both at sea and by land. Ted seemed to have a good suite of land, sea, and Air Forces, but his overall income each turn was less than mine. The victory condition of the scenario was to hold Singapore at the end of 1945. So, I had to hold Ted off long enough for my superior resources to fund a strike across the map to beat him back and capture the fortress island. Unfortunately, Ted made a timely strike to the Indian sub-continent, capturing a minor base, but setting off a country-wide anti-British revolt. This was quite annoying and diverted my badly needed resources. I nailed his aircraft carrier and battleship, and late in the game launched my final strike. It all came down to a final battle on the last turn before the 1945 monsoons hit. My jungle-weakened Indian army fought their way to the gates of Singapore only to face a hail of Japanese machinegun fire and even some banzai charges by Ted's desperate defenders. He beat me back and held on for the victory!

 
At 9:28 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Again, I think a big reason is that we are practically all there gaming (well, except for Kendahl, Simon, Amy, Patrick, Kirk, etc)

 
At 12:51 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Monday was a great game night. Tigris, 2xGoa, Shadows, and Indonesia. Not a clunker in the mix. I'm still pretty impressed that all that got played in the limited time that I was there.

 
At 9:54 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

Re: session reports

Even if we're all at the gaming session, we don't all play the same games. I like knowing how the other sessions went and how other games play.

My guess is that with some many folks there, we're all waiting for some one else to post it. I know I figured some one else would.

If you feel inspired to write a report, just speak up during the session so we'll know who's going to do it.

I enjoyed PV, although we got several rules wrong. A few minor mistakes, and at least one major one where we rewound and redid a whole turn.

 
At 2:32 PM, July 28, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I waited for someone else to do it, but I had to step up to the platter (specially with new people stopping by to say hi on the blog).

It's ok Ted, we'll play flawless PV next Monday. I'm the rule's lawyer.

 
At 4:33 PM, July 28, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Yup, that's my expansion. The justification (and files) are on my blog:

http://gaming.powerblogs.com/posts/1142104317.shtml
link

 

Post a Comment

<< Home