Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Getting Your War On, the Blog, Friday

Based on Ben's post and the comments, let me just say that I'm completely ready to get some war on. This doesn't require a massive commitment of people, but it does for time. The most important part (as I was reminded so very recently) is to explain the rules quickly and start without going into every detail. Let people back up or just play the mistakes. Or if the rules are online, have people read them ahead of time.

Most wargames are nice in that they only need two. A few take more, and are even harder to schedule. Perhaps the long Memorial day weekend would afford us a chance to tackle a multi-player game of some heft. I've got 7 Ages ... on the CDG front, Sword of Rome plays four, and without a commitment I'm unlikely to ever get a chance to try it out.

On a less militaristic note, can we set up this blog to allow for guest comments? I've gotten a note or two from people from Austin (and elsewhere) ... I don't know how blogger handles it. My blog allows open comments for 14 days, then closes them (to prevent spammers from sneaking into your archives). Something like that should be fine, if possible.

And on a non-militaristic note, Jacqui and I are hosting this friday. RSVP in the comments!

7 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

I'll be there, and I'll encourage Amy to make sure her schedule allows her to get her game on as well. That shouldn't be hard.

 
At 5:24 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

Can't make it Friday, sorry to say.

Memorial day is definitely the time to get your war on. That's what it's all about, right?!

7 Ages isn't exactly a war game, but I'd be happy to give it a try. My war & war themed games include:

-- Battle Cry (w/ cool variants)
-- Victory in the Pacific
-- EastFront
-- Wizard Kings
-- War of 1812
-- Duel of Ages
-- Hammer of the Scots
-- Ogre (hex, counter, CRT, 30min!)

 
At 6:54 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

You missed our mini (nano) wargame con while you were at the GoF. Unfortunately, I was dragged away and the group of four only got to play a grand total of 2 and a half games (half of a LNL:BOH game, CG's Napoleon, and Twilight Struggle).

It kinda sucked, but we gave it our best and I'm confident we can better produce on the next given opportunity.

The difficulty of tabling these sorts of games has helped curb my rabid gaming desires. My new policy is to only purchase the best and brightest wargames since the odds of getting the bang for your buck in game time is slim to none.

(Also, I can't make it on Friday...Have fun!)

 
At 9:44 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Thanks to Jon, Simon, Ted, and Brian, I've been able to put my block game collection to good use. Almost every other week I've been able to play one of them. You all have probably seen my collection before but here it is again:

-Wizard Kings
-Hammer of the Scots
-Rommel in the Desert
-Crusader Rex
-Lock 'N Load Band of Heroes (on its way to me as we speak).

And preordered (it's so easy to preorder, it's dangerous):
-Eastfront II (CG)
-Combat Commander (GMT)
-For the people II (GMT)
-Deluxe SPQR (GMT)

Others I'd order just after I robbing a bank:
-Conquest of Paradise (GMT)
-War in the Pacific (Decision Games.... $420 baby)
-Samurai and/or RAN (GMT)
-Devil's Cauldron (~$150)
-FAB the Bulge (GMT)
-Europe Engulfed (GMT)

 
At 9:13 AM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

Regarding this blog, I read another blog seemingly hosted by this same blog-server-thingy. They use the 'wavy letters thingy' to weed out automated spammers. I don't know if they have to do a lot of additional editing to kill spam or not.

 
At 10:27 AM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Ok, I just changed it so people who are registered through blogger can post comments on our blog and I added the word verification to stop spammers.

We can see how this works out. If we get flooded with spam or we do not like this with a couple of clicks we can go back to the old format.

 
At 3:50 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I can make it tonight. SOrry for the late reply, but my Fridays can be up in the air often and I didn't want to commit only to back out at the last second.

Glad to see some new blood posting here Chris and Yehuda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home