Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Board Gamer in the South Pacific

Greetings, fellow board gamers from a tiny speck near the equator in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Yes, I'm writing from the US territory that does not have a board game based upon it, Guam. The place I'm working is pictured above where I've been busy defending freedom for a couple weeks.

While here and in Hawaii, I encountered a tremendous amount of military history, and I'm consequently very interested in getting Empire of the Sun. The thickly jungled cliffs pictured above are literally littered with Japanes pillboxes, guns, bullets, etc., and the nearby Navy base has a completely intact Japanese two-person sub I was able to crawl on. On one weird note, the Navy base's housing is built on a mass grave of Japanese soldiers... holy Samurai Poltergeist, Batman!

Anyway, I've sincerely appreciated reading everyone's session reports while I've been out of town. An 8-person Bang! game? Wow! Fury of Dracula seems like it's a bust, but I'm confident I can help restore the luster of Duel of Ages when I get back.

Perhaps being on active duty in the military is affecting my thinking, but I'm anxious to play more wargames when I get back. I just P500'ed Barbarossa to Berlin and For the People. Also, Paths of Glory is inbound. Brian's review helped talk me in to that one... Yes, Twilight Struggle seems to have infected me with card-based wargame obsession. Speaking of Twilight Struggle, I want a rematch with Jon after my rather radioactive finish last game....

In the words of Douglas MacArthur spoken not far from here, "I shall return!"

5 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Ben, as you know, I have the same bug. I ordered LnL for my Bday (4/18), preordered For the People, and I'm seriously eyeing SPQR because Joe Steadman P500'd it (and because I'd like to move beyond WWII games). Paths of Glory has been tempting me for a while. I'll wait to play it with you. Pax Romana looks interesting too...

Thanks for chiming in.

 
At 8:41 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

I've got Victory in the Pacific (block game). While it has some flaws, it gets generally good reviews. I've solo'ed a few times, and I'd love to get some F2F.

 
At 9:35 AM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Have fun in the sun while you can, but don't take too long. We need you back here!

Take care.

P.S. I'd also like a try at Paths of Glory when you have the time. Such rave reviews must mean there's something there to get excited about.

 
At 4:56 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

My current shelf 'o wargames includes:
7 Ages, Downtown, Europe Engulfed, For the People, The Napoleonic Wars, Paths of Glory, Sword of Rome, WWII: Barbarossa to Berlin.

The shorter games include Flying Colors, Up Front, and a few others (including mixed games like Blue Max or Rise of the Luftwaffe).

In general, if we can agree on a time, I'm up for it. Advance notice to re-read the rules is probably good, too.

 
At 11:12 AM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Ben,

What do you get back to SA? I look forward to a rematch, I am growing very fond of Twilight Struggle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home