Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Too bad there is no www.allgamegeek.com

Yeah, there is something I've been holding back from you guys. I'm pretty much crazy about all games, not just board games. There is a mud that I've been playing on for about 5 years now that due to unstable ownership and problems with actually being completely down for months at a time because of the unstable ownership has lost most of its player base. Thats where hopefully maybe some of you guys come in. If this isn't your thing, sorry for wasting your time, but I figured this group was the most likely group of people I knew that might want to have some other geeky style gaming outlets.

The rundown:

Basically its an extremely heavily modded diku mud base (although if you are familiar with diku muds you probably won't really recognize it from all the modding). The implementor is crazy about all things final fantasy, and many of the mechanics of the game borrow heavily from all the final fantasys throughout the years. There is basically always something new being implemented so things stay fresh and the best part (at least to someone like me) is it's totally free. Oh yeah, maybe here is where I should mention is that muds are text based role playing games played through the telnet protocol. So if pretty pictures are important, you might pass (I know we all like our bits).

Anyway, main point is, if you are interested, get a telnet client designed for muds like gmud or zmud and connect to Solar Eclipse at bb14.betterbox.net 4321. You can look for me on there under the name Moki (who sees who is online and tell moki hi tells me hi if I'm there). Just make some random character and then I can give you advice on how to get started including the original character creation. Anyway, hope this wasn't too off topic...my next post will be nice and on topicish. The picture is a screenshot of me destroying a pushover monster with a well timed monk combo.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

As far as I'm concerned, anything involving "geeky style gaming outlets" is on-topic. I'm always interested in other ways of having gaming fun. The other day Jon, Rob, and I had a nice discussion on MAME and the possibilities of making home-built arcade cabinets...

Over the years I've periodically looked over MUDs, even going back to the old BBS days (remember 2400 bps gaming?)...

To be honest though, if I ever end up having enough time for this kind of thing, World of Warcraft is just too cool for $15/month.

 
At 10:03 AM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Ben...I'm almost ready to pull out my credit card to singup again for WoW. I may not have found boardgamers at work, but did find 2-3 rabid WoW fanatics. They almost have me convinced.

 
At 12:23 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

If you do, let me know, maybe we could play on the same server...

Wait... must resist...

 
At 2:03 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Jon and I had plans for a MAME cabinet with a parts catalog and everything. The price tag was a little under a K, so we decided to hold off. I will build one in my lifetime though and it will be glorious.

Oh, I will...

 
At 5:21 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

The idea of a MUD always fascinated me, but I never got into one. Most likely because I was in graduate school when "teh intraweb" became widespread, and UT (that's the University of Tennessee - who know how to do orange properly) had a strictly enforced 'no MUDs on university computers' policy.

As long as we're discussing games without graphics, though, I have spent thousands of hours plumbing the depths of Angband. www.thangorodrim.net

 
At 3:22 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Speaking of WoW, who wants to try out the WoW board game with me? I think it's one of those FFG games that'll be really, really good after an expansion pack comes out, but for fantasy fans it looks like fun.

 
At 8:39 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Oops....I forgot that the race I currently am on there would preclude you from being able to spot me on who unless you are able to see hidden. Heh just send me an email through here if you actually wanted to give it a shot.

 
At 4:42 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

I've fallen into the pit of computer RPGs enough to know that I need to play games that have a clear cut "end."

Games like WoW and Everquest seem super cool, but they have no "end," and I'm therefore afraid to start.

I don't want a game-life. I just want some games in my real life.

 
At 10:52 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Ted: My advice is to avoid WoW. The game is totally like crack and has turned many an innocent Smeagol into a gibbering, bleary eyed Gollum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home