Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ode to the Dice Tower

<<Disclaimer: Though the thoughts in my posting are genuine, I was in part shamefully motivated by the desire to gain entry into The Dice Tower's most recent contest.>>

Without a doubt, The Dice Tower is my favorite board gaming podcast. Their commentary, rants, top-ten lists, and reviews are always amusing, informative, and thought provolking. One aspect of the show I enjoy is how relevant their topics of discussion seem to be to the interests of our local group. For instance, their most recent episode (#39) featured a review of Twilight Struggle; a discussion of Pitch Car; the challenges of applying stickers to C&C: Ancients blocks; and top-ten lists on block games and racing games, all of which are current topics within our group.

I've mentioned in the past how I listen to the podcast while jogging. This is perhaps a dangerous practice due to the way it seems to seep into your subconcious. For instance, two nights ago I had a vivid dream where I was shopping in a military post exchance (PX) in the toy department looking for board games. Next thing I know, Joe Steadman (one of the hosts of the Dice Tower) come around the corner riding a tricycle and wearing a World War 2 US Army helmet and a Vietnam era flack jacket. Joe starts pointing out games on the shelf he thinks I would like, such as the Yanks and Paratrooper modules of ASL, Up Front, and Atlantic Storm, all of which were, amazingly, for sale. My dream ends with me loading up my cart and thanking him.... I'm considering seeking counseling.

4 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

Funny stuff!

I don't have a decent MP3 player, so I have never listened to any podcasts. This almost makes me want to buy one, but that would cut into my game budget...

tmk

 
At 12:07 AM, February 26, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Let us know when WE win.

 
At 1:01 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I'll admit I've had my share of boardgaming dreams as well... They usually involve finding ridiculous deals on Holy Grail items, too. I guess it must be in the gamer's blood or something. I've also had the odd one or two where everyone is a meeple and what's worse is that they all aren't playing by the rules (it's not your turn to move, you bastard)!

 
At 1:08 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

If you have a Tivo, you can now have it download and play podcasts through your TV or home stereo. Very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home