Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Impromptu gaming.... 2/21-2/22




So having played for a full day on Monday wasn't enough. I had a very positive response to my post saying that I was off this week, and that I could play some more during the day this week. So Tuesday Simon and Michael came by my house around noon. Michael and I played Battle Line and Confrontation until Simon showed up.

Battle Line was a quick an intense game with Michael scoring 3 flags almost in a row before I won my first. It ended 5-4 Michael.

Confrontation.... I won the first game, Michael the second. On the first, I was lucky killing Frodo really early in the game. On the second, I left this big gaping hole towards Mordor that I just couldn't cover, and Frodo just swept by. I've still to try it with the "super special" magic cards.

Tigris and Euphrates... Like my wife says, "you never win on those games that you so passionately explain to others". I ended last, with a very close game between Simon and Michael (another one for Michael after tie breaker).

And last but not least, Carcassonne the City. I'm very pleased with this light-but-deep self-contained (no expansions needed) Carcassonne version. Many ways to score, and some occurring during the later phases of the game (so managing meeples carefully is key). Michael once again won, BUT ONLY because he mooched from my 22 point civilian meeple! I tried to have majority of meeples where he so blatantly decided to mooch from, but it was towards the end of the game and the last few tiles didn't help me achieve this. I came in second behind by 12 points (or so).

So today I decided to make a hard hard decision.... I need to take a looong break from my addiction (hobby). Today I realized that I've had it. I'm tired. I will to stop playing, or even think about games, and dedicate myself to other things for......................... 24hrs. I sure hope I can make it. 'Til then....

5 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

There is not a chance you are going to make it.

Maybe you should try setting more reasonable goals like 30 minutes, than slowly work your way up to the big ones.

 
At 11:02 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Sure, you say. As you most likely frag away in Doom 3 all night. Gaming is gaming, man. You can't escape it; it's everywhere.

Seriously though, I need to study like mad all day tomorrow to make up for all the time I've killed on cardboard crack this week...Then again, maybe I shouldn't have opted for 18 credit hours this semester knowing my involvement with this glorious group of gamers (alliteration overload).

 
At 12:41 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I try to achieve balance in life by making sure to alternate between eurogames, wargames, computer games, running (but listening to gaming podcasts while doing it), woodworking (making dice towers and bookcases for games), then playing games with my wife. Balance is a good thing!

 
At 7:10 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Well I failed, and how.

I had to at least take a peek at the BGG site to calm that gaming itch. That made me feel somewhat better. Unfortunately I found an interesting geek list.... that lead me to an interesting wargame.... that led me to feel more than satisfied when I preordered it.

Hi my name is Rob, and I'm a gameaholic.

 
At 10:28 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Rob,

Before I would have laughed at someone if they had told me they were addicted to something as weird as board games.

But sadly now all I have to say is...



My name is Jon, and I to am a gameaholic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home